We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Island Should We Visit

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
324 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
Which Island Should We Visit

We’re planning a trip to the Islands and are wondering which island would fit our needs.

We have Pohnpei in the plans but are considering a second stop. Considerations are not repeating too many activities and having enough to do given that flights are less than daily.

In Pohnpei we plan on checking out a few of the waterfalls, the Nan Model, some of the Japanese Aircraft, and Climb Sokehs for a picture or two of a take-off and landing at the airport.

We are a mid 40s couple in average shape. Neither of us are very athletic. We can do smaller hikes and walks, but nothing very strenuous (The Great Wall of China was about our limit).

We are not into Scuba. Snorkeling might be a possibility but will be a last minute decision based on how comfortable we are.

Things we’ve enjoyed in the past are window shopping and strolling through villages, attractions such as Temples, Churches, Ruins, (either self guided or with a guide), Boat Rides, Kyaking or Canoeing is an option. Talking with locals and learning about them is also something we’ve enjoyed as well as trying local cuisine and dining. I am an intermediate level photographer and love taking pictures of nature. Also, I am an aviation fan so another picture of a plane doing a takeoff or landing would be an added bonus.

As I mentioned above, we’re looking for a second island to supplement our stay at Pohnpei. It doesn’t need to be an FSM Island, but something along United’s Island Hopper or one of its branches (Yap, Saipan, etc) is a must.

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
13 posts
1. Re: Which Island Should We Visit

You should go to Yap, If you are not a fanatic wreck diver, forget Chuuk. Guam is not interesting, it is something like somehow poor Florida

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
324 posts
28 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Which Island Should We Visit

I agree that Guam is a complete waste of time. I'll take your word on Chuuk not being a good option, but I gather Yap is just as much of a Diver's only resort, with most people diving for the Mantas. I see there are a few paths, including the Stone Money and Tamilyog Trail. as well as some Japanese Ruins, but lacking a cultural center it seems like it;'s either Dive or sit by the pool at your resort. Even the tour guides are reported as being more drivers than real guides.

https://www.onceinalifetimejourney.com/once-in-a-lifetime-journeys/pacific/yap-complete-guide/

I was looking into Kosrae. The Nautilus Resort seems to offer more solutions to non-divers with guided tours, boat rides, and even a beginners Diving course should one choose to. Also, I gather that the town of Toful has a marginal amount more to offer than Colonia does. If nothing else, there are daylight UA flights available to grab a picture of.

Reply to: Which Island Should We Visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Federated States of...
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.