We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dala island scam.( off yangon)

Metro Manila...
Level Contributor
241 posts
63 reviews
28 helpful votes
Dala island scam.( off yangon)

be very careful if you decide to ferry across the river to Dala is.there is a despicable scam operating out of the ticketing office area.you will be approached by a man or women offering to take you across to THEIR village.on the other side another smiling individual will offer their rickshaws.they quote around 2000k or so.THEIR village turns out to be povery stricken tsunami victims.you will be asked to buy them 55,000k sacks of rice.these people are desperate victims even the U.N. HASN'T BEEN THERE FOR A LONG TIME .Also there is no good drinking water.the scam will keep you involved with side trips for a couple of hours.when you finally return to the port, you'll be asked to pay your bill. this will amount to 80-100,000k by now.they actually charge 2500k per 15mins.if you in a large group , work it out.avoid all this and go on your own.the scam really starts with the guy that runs the rickshaws but you can find an honest one.then at least it's your choice how you respond to the village.

47 replies to this topic
Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
36 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

Dala is a shanty town, you have to be careful as you go alone. I knew that fraud, some are less educated not illiterate, esp rickshaw riders. Dala is easily reachable through Ferry from Downtown of RGN for max 15 mins ride and option to experience real lives of locals there, its morning market, in particular. As it is, many tourists got there with same interests and some part of community directly touch to tourists perceive to prosper more income. That's a human nature, they want more flow of income from tourists. Only have to do is, authorities give warnings or travelers have to care. I want you to have thorough bargain with these people and make clear before you hire.

KP

Sydney
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

This happened to me today. First I was approached by an Indian looked lady who told me that she was working for the pier. She then took me to an office where I had to paid 4,000 Kyat for a returned ferry trip. She then told me that her brother would accompany me to their village. He introduced himself as "Peter". He looked intelligence and was nice. He told me that he could speak many languages. I asked where did he learn his language from and he simply replied from his foreign friends. Anyway.. when he got on the ferry, he took me upstairs to sit where it was dedicated for forigners and monks. All of the sudden there was another girl approached us. Peter told me that this girl worked with him. I started to feel a bit suspicious. Whe we arrived, these two took me to meet these rickshaws drivers. I then asked how much it was going to cost me. Peter said 4.500 kyat per half an hour. Then I decided to back off. I told Peter that I didn't want any more tour and wanted to head back to Yangoon. They were all schocked with my decidsion. I insisted that I wanted to go back and they let me head back, but of course I could see from their facial reactions that they were disappointed. On my way back, Peter kept asking me if I was happy with the tour and if I was not happy, would he be able to offer me extra services, i.e. private massage services. I kept telling him that I was happy and I didn't want any extra services. He kept demanding me to pay for his fees on my way back to Yangoon but I told him that I didn't do any tour, so why I did have to pay for his fees. I refused and the he started to be more agressive. At the end I told him that I only had 20,000 kyart. I even emptied my wallet to show him. He kept telling me that I could go to nearby ATM to take more cash out but I refused. At the end he told that money I gave and disappeared. So my suggestions to everyone to be cautious with these people because they are after you.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
380 posts
53 reviews
32 helpful votes
3. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

IWT and MOHT (ministry of hotels and tourism) should put posters at the ferry terminal to warn visitors ... I think they even had a sign there a few months ago, but it's not there anymore ... very likely "Peter" removed it ;-) Anyway, Dala is best to be explored by bicycle, but you'll only get crappy ones over there - and they might also rip you off ... There's an adventure company in Yangon offering cool Bike Tours to Dala and even further to the river island (but I'm not allowed to name them here as I know them ;-) - but just for your information in general: going rate to rent a Trishaw for 1 HOUR is 5000-6000 Kyat, and a big bag of rice (averge quality) is around 20.0000 Kyat - Trishaw rates dont apply to downtown Yangon, but outskirts ... I'm going to Dala quite often after work for cycling or jogging, and never felt it is unsafe, but there's for sure certain areas where you don't want to be alone after dark ...

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
70 reviews
59 helpful votes
4. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

Ugh. I fell for this scam yesterday. These guys are brilliant at seeming nice and they really know how to make you feel sorry for them. They even took me to their impoverished home, which is probably not even their home. The 50 kilo bag of rice for the orphans, the rickshaw ride, the tour...you are going to pay big time at the end. I stupidly ignored all my years of travel experience by not getting a price up front (the old "pay what you like" should have been enough to make me walk away), and I'm an easy sucker for sob stories. Stay away from the ferry ride to Dalla and anyone who tries to show you around.

australia
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

So tell us more , how much did it cost you

6. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 August 2017, 04:34

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
70 reviews
59 helpful votes
7. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

Yes,. Your observations are correct. The next day my two "guides" came to my hotel and waited for me outside (I foolishly ignored one of my other travel rule about not telling anyone where I'm staying). At first I was irritated, but then we walked to a local restaurant, and over beers, I explained that after I left them I went on several travel forums and read all about the Dalla scams. I told them all the details, told them the rice for orphan trick is fake and that I'm sure the 50 kilo of rice I bought goes back to them or someone they get a cut, and I told them that many travelers get angry at the end of the visit because the prices are so inflated and that it sometimes even leads to fights. They listened, admitted that others do that, but that they are legit. It's true, it is "voluntary", but I read some traveler's comments claiming that if you don't give in to their inflated demands it can turn ugly. Since I was alone and also because in truth I enjoyed the visit and my guide was very charming, I paid the inflated costs. When I finished giving them the third degree, I felt a strong compassion for my guide. It's true, they are very poor and they help others in the community. I ended up spending the next three days with my guide, and he was very clever and charming. One night he took me to a dock area where homeless families live, they all knew him, and we handed out food and money to the mothers. That's when I realized that despite the conning he was also very genuine. By the end I had a big crush on him. I ended up giving him my cell phone (the one I use for travel), and I'm sure he'll be in touch. So, in the end, my unpleasant feelings about Dala turned out to be a great experience and I saw and learned far more than I would have if I hadn't met my Dala guide casually on the street.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
70 reviews
59 helpful votes
8. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

The two rickshaw drivers (the one I was in and the one my guide was in) asked for 50,000 each, 0r 100,000 total. That's outrageous.

9. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 30 September 2016, 21:35

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
73 posts
10. Re: Dala island scam.( off yangon)

I read the adventures as i hope to see dala too

Do you all suggest people ignore anyone that approaches and buy ticket at booth

And just walk around dala myself

Reply to: Dala island scam.( off yangon)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Yangon (Rangoon)