We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?

Gales Ferry...
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?

I read a lot here about protecting yourself from stray dog attacks but not much concern for their terrible plight. Are there many stay dogs in American Samoa? One of the things that keeps me from traveling to less developed and animal right enlightened countries is the deplorable state of the poor abandoned abused and starving sick domesticated animals. ...Bali is an example and Cambodia. Does American Samoa or Samoa have lots of these animals wandering around the country?

3 replies to this topic
Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
43 reviews
30 helpful votes
1. Re: Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?

You will have to ask about American Samoa on that forum.

The Animal Protection Society (APS) in Samoa has made great inroads in animal welfare over the last 10 years with free desexing and veterinary treatment becoming more affordable. You can contact them i you wish to find out more about their programmes.

Most Samoans generally love their dogs/cats but there are lots of wild dogs still wandering around that will always be stray.

I'm a passionate dog lover and it distresses me too but it has improved and will keep on doing so.

Cheers

Deb

Gales Ferry...
Level Contributor
54 posts
14 reviews
7 helpful votes
2. Re: Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?

hello deb...thank you for your reply and it is great to know that at least on American Samoa there is an active agency to address this sad situation but generally I wanted to know what the possibility of encountering neglected starving or hurt domestic animals are while visiting AS ro Samoa

Woolgoolga...
Destination Expert
for Apia, Samoa
Level Contributor
4,901 posts
43 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?

The APS is in Apia, Samoa not American Samoa, you'll need to go to that forum to ask about conditions there.

You will find stray, hungry dogs in Samoa but conditions are improving.

Reply to: Are there many hungry, ill or sad stray dogs in Samoa?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Samoa
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.