We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
31 posts
Car hire

Hi,

Next week we are going for our week long holidays to Niue, staying at Matavai Resort.

Is it recommended to hire a car online or after we arrive there? And from what rental company?

Do we need a car for all 7 days? We love walking, but are there any interesting walking around the resort? Is it a walkable distance to Alofi centre, lets say for a meal?

I would really appreciate any advice, thanks.

Cheers

15 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Tokyo
Level Contributor
8,843 posts
367 reviews
291 helpful votes
1. Re: Car hire

Alofi is not walking distance from the Matavai. The Washaway cafe which opens on a Sunday might be walking distance, but no other restaurants/cafes. I would look at getting a car for the whole seven days, as the sights are spread out around the island. I booked mine through Alofi rentals, and they were fine. If you're looking to economise, the Crazy Uga cafe has some cars to rent and they seemed to be a cheaper rate.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,835 posts
750 reviews
511 helpful votes
2. Re: Car hire

I definitely recommend you hire a vehicle for the 7 days you are there. There are no taxis so it gives you the flexibility to go into crazy uga for a coffee or panini for lunch, or head to the limu pools at the best tides. Or to washaway cafe on a Sunday. A drive and walk to togo chasm is a must. all the sights and activities are spread out around the island and if you have favourites like Avaiki, you will want to go back! Without a vehicle you will be very restricted. And do book - they often are booked up

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
31 posts
3. Re: Car hire

Thank you v much for the replies. We are just about to book a car, but still looking for information about insurance. Is it included in the price or is it extra?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island, Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand, Tonga
Level Contributor
24,835 posts
750 reviews
511 helpful votes
4. Re: Car hire

Check directly with the car rental company.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Mamanuca Islands, Rarotonga, Fiji, North Island
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
32 reviews
131 helpful votes
5. Re: Car hire

From what I recall when considering this question Niue has no car insurance.

http://www.niuetotal.com/gettingaround-ing.htm

Crowthorne, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
6 helpful votes
6. Re: Car hire

How do I contact the Crazy Uga Cafe for rentals in advance?

Eva
Feilding, New...
Level Contributor
71 posts
75 reviews
23 helpful votes
7. Re: Car hire

I'd probably just email the information Centre they are really helpful. We got our hire car through Namukulu Cottages but had to pay at the crazy uga. Was really good though.

Western Ireland...
Level Contributor
226 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Car hire

I hired while I was there.i tried a scooter first but it broke down,so I was given a car and told too leave it at the airport when leaving with keys inside.its a good idea too hire a car or motorbike so you can travel around the island

2 posts
9. Re: Car hire

Car Hire Scam

Our first problem was the hire vehicle wasn’t delivered as expected.

Our second problem was contacting the hire company to try to resolve the problem, it took two days involving an email to Australia, a phone call from Australia to New Zealand, then another call from NZ to Niue, then a local call. The car then turned up.

Our third problem was on our return to Australia, we tried to get a refund for the missing two days’ rental. Their response was the vehicle had sustained damage whilst on hire to us (no hint of this til we made contact) and that the damage was going to cost $2500! After negotiations that was reduced to $400.

Our visit to Delightful Niue was spoiled by this well known scam.

Advice to future renters, take photos and video both before and after hire to protect yourself.

1 post
10. Re: Car hire

Crikey which hire company is this / I would keep a wide berth

Reply to: Car hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Alofi
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.