We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
686 posts
35 reviews
42 helpful votes
Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

My husband and I have recently returned from a ten night stay in Niue, I’ll get around to writing individual reviews for paces we ate out etc over the next couple of weeks but meantime here are some ideas, tips and tricks.

Accommodation – we stayed at Lau’s Getaways and it was fabulous. Some of the higher priced accommodation on the island but the location is superb and it comes with plenty of wonderful extras. Certainly worth every cent. Was also a great location for whale watching, we were able to sit on the deck each day and view them in the bay. Don’t presume you will always see whales as I believe the week or two before we arrived there had been none. We just timed it right and on most days could turn to the left, right or look straight ahead and see them, along with the spinner dolphins.

Meals – Lau’s was self catering and we took food with us so didn’t eat out that much, when we did we enjoyed the local fish and chips at Crazy Uga and Falala Café. The fish is so fresh it was a real treat. We also went to the Thursday night buffet and fire dance at the Scenic Matavai, the food was very tasty and although short the fire show was fun.

Groceries – We took some meat into Niue with us, along with some baby carrots, cucumbers, salad greens, cheese, hummus, pita breads, wraps, fruit cake and chocolate. There was no problem getting it in however the keys to getting through Customs quickly is to ensure that everything is wrapped and shows as bought from the supermarket or butchers and that you have receipts for it. So even the meat from the butcher we ensured that it was vacuum packed with the butchers sticker on it and that we had a receipt.

Groceries were as you would expect were limited and reliant on the ship coming in on time. We were pleased we took the meat as the meat we did see was frozen and not the sort of quality we enjoy. There was nothing like wraps or pita breads or anything like that. While you can get cheese it is expensive, nearly double to what it would be here. It worked out that there was plenty of lettuce to be had on the island. Niue Fresh does wonderful hydroponic lettuces and while not cheap at $6 they are huge and beautiful quality. Local cucumber and tomatoes were excellent quality and well priced. We picked the lettuce and cucumber up at Sassy Chick by Falala Fa Café and the tomatoes at the same place as you get petrol.

What did surprise us was that we were paying less for ice-blocks and coke than we would here in NZ.

If you are staying somewhere self catering then it is well worth taking some key things with you, and certainly if you have any special dietary requirements you’ll want to make sure you take supplies as there is certainly nothing like gluten free.

Snorkelling spots – We enjoyed our snorkelling at Avatele beach by Washaway Café and also the sea track that is just opposite Falala Fa Café. Both places you can drive down to and can snorkel at mid tide. The water clarity is amazing.

Observations – Niue is different to the Cooks, Fiji, Vanuatu and even Tonga. If you are wanting to go and lie on the beach then it isn’t really the place for you. It’s a coral atoll - in most places you have a 50m or more walk to actually get to the water. A lot of the snorkelling is tide dependant so don’t think you will spend the whole day in the water – unless you go out on one of the dive tours.

The Commodores Orientation tour is well worth doing the day after your arrival. It’s informative and like it says it’s an orientation tour so great for pointing out some key locations and giving you a look at places you know you will want to go back to! Also you’ll receive a great wee pack with information about tides, must see places and must do things.

You really want transport and you want to arrange it before you get there. The really keen can bike or the more lazy like me should hire a car! But be aware there are pot holes that are big enough to swallow your car, so don’t be surprised if you see someone on your side of the road trying to avoid one.

Everyone we met was really lovely and really helpful. Certainly a very friendly place to visit.

KaiNiue – we didn’t realise until after we arrived that we were there at the same time as the KaiNiue Food Festival. We did a couple of the Master Classes through this and they were excellent and really reasonably priced. It’s a great event and if you are into your food well worth looking out for next year if you feel like a break away.

All in all we had a wonderful time, discovered another place to call paradise and would certainly visit again.

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
686 posts
35 reviews
42 helpful votes
1. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

A couple of other things that may help someone travelling to Niue for the first time:

Cash is king in Niue, you can pretty well leave your credit card at home. There are no ATM's, you can get cash out at the supermarket and there is a Kiwibank. Other than the supermarket you probably want smaller notes for most places $20 notes or less. You can use your debit card in a lot of places but it is well worth making sure you have cash.

We got some amazing vanilla paste and extract for the lovely Patrica at Koefaga, which you will find on the left as you are leaving town - she's the last house before the quarry. I also couldnt believe the amazing prices of her vanilla. Well worth bringing back.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
76 helpful votes
2. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Great info thank you. We are counting sleeps to our trip next week. Hope the whales stick around!

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
686 posts
35 reviews
42 helpful votes
3. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Any other questions feel free to yell.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
76 helpful votes
4. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Hi Kapiti Coast, One more question - how did you pack your food to take on the airplane? Did you pack in a suitcase? Or did you take a cooler/ chilly bin? My hubby and I were just discussing getting the suitcases out of the garage to start packing for our trip... wanted to know what seemed to be the easiest to transport/ check/ etc.

Thank you!

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
686 posts
35 reviews
42 helpful votes
5. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Hi,

We packed a separate chilly bin, just to keep it colder for longer given we had to travel up from Wellington. It would really depend on what your baggage allowance would be as to how easy it would be. We never travel light as my husband takes a lot of camera and dive equipment so we always make sure we have plenty of baggage allowance.

Cheers

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
78 reviews
76 helpful votes
6. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Ok, thank you!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
4 posts
23 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

I'm really pleased about the food you have mentioned taking in. I am going for three weeks in December and was worrying about what I would be able to get in to the country

Are you able to comment on the internet at all? I.e. Mobile internet or wifi or other

Kapiti Coast
Level Contributor
686 posts
35 reviews
42 helpful votes
8. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

You can purchase a local SIM to use for your mobile, Spark wont work there but I believe that Voda may. As far as internet we had WIFI at Laus which worked fine but slow. Okay for email, facebook updates etc but you wouldn't want to rely on it for watching youtube or anything.

Hope that helps.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
13 posts
111 reviews
39 helpful votes
9. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Very helpful. Thanks. Wanted to click the "helpful" badge, but can't find it! Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
10. Re: Report on our stay in Niue and the food you can take in

Thanks for the info you posted. What is the tempreture like?

Get answers to your questions about Niue
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.