We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

Kuala Lumpur...
3 posts
Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

Hi all travellers,

I will be travelling from work-related trip from LAE to POM to SIN this coming early Jan 2024. This is my first time in PNG & my first in the POM airport. The flight from LAE shall be landing at 1900hrs at POM & my next flight out to SIN is about noon time the next day. As a budget traveler, the idea of spending another ~$200 for a hotel room is not favorable, but still an option. The plan is to hang around in the airport & try to kill the time as best possible like I always did in other airports. The questions are, is it allowed to stay overnight in this airport? is it safe to do that? What about facilities in the airport? I do plan to enter & stay in the international terminal once I get there from LAE.

Appreciate inputs/advices from you guys. Thanks.

10 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
1. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

i am pretty sure the airport is closed overnight - there are some recent threads on PNG and POM on a budget

there are some missions (missionary houses) in POM which have cheap accommodation but if you book in advance unless you are on a busy day you should be able to stay at somewhere like the holiday inn for much less than 200 usd and they have a nice pool and facilities - look on trivago

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

by the time you pay airport taxi fares to and from a cheap joint it is just as economical to stay in a budget hotel that offers free airport transfer like Hideaway Hotel, Ponderosa Hotel or Shady Rest Hotel.

Avoid smaller accom places located in risky areas like Erima, Gordons, Five Mile.

UK
Level Contributor
516 posts
80 reviews
99 helpful votes
3. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

How did you get on with your overnight?

Can I pose a related question on this thread?

We are arriving at POM at 4am tomorrow on a flight from Palau, so obviously ( presumably!) the international terminal we be open at that time. We are then flying domestic to Mount Hagen at about 8.30am. Does anyone know if we will be able to check in at the domestic terminal as soon as we've landed and cleared? Give the recent unrest, we'd feel more comfortable being airside...

Thanks

Edited: 16 January 2024, 20:29
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

obviously the terminal will be open on your arrival but not all services will be - the domestic terminal should be open by 5 so will be by the time you are through

i recommend staying in the international terminal landside to use the ATM and get a Digicel sim card - plus there is a good cafe and it is more comfortable then go over to the domestic terminal a little later after the initial rush is over around 7

you have to collect checked luggage for customs but may be able to check it in for the domestic flight in the international terminal which is less chaotic - worth asking

whilst safety is an issue the disturbances of last week are over

UK
Level Contributor
516 posts
80 reviews
99 helpful votes
5. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

That's brilliant, thank you so much for your advice and reassurance, much appreciated!

UK
Level Contributor
516 posts
80 reviews
99 helpful votes
6. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

We were indeed able to check in our luggage for the domestic flight before leaving the international terminal :-)

We wouldn't have thought of asking, so thanks for saving us a bit of hassle!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

OK have a great trip

lukim yu behain !

Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
8. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

Hi, just wanna ask if do I need to apply a transit visa in PNG? I have 1 day layover and I was worried if the immigration will allow me to stay outside airport to spend my layover in Airways Hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,613 posts
2 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

as per the other posts on this thread - you can transit airside without a visa but cannot stay overnight airside

- if you leave airside to exit the airport you need a visa

https://evisa.ica.gov.pg/evisa/account/apply

you need the easy visitor visa

Edited: 27 May 2024, 01:59
Brisbane, Australia
2 posts
10. Re: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport

Ohh okay. Thank you so much!

Reply to: Long (Overnight) layover in Port Moresby airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Moresby
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.