We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kokoda trail in April 2025

Maple Ridge, Canada
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
67 reviews
65 helpful votes
Kokoda trail in April 2025

Good evening

I am training to do the trail in April of 2025 and am looking at a number of outfitters to do this with

I am looking for a company that is local so I can get the real feel of new Guinea not a watered down tour that is so commercialized that I wont feel like I'm even in the country I want to take my time and stay in some villages for a day or two during the trek

I am going to be 64 when I do the trek and I just want to enjoy it. I know it is challenging hence why I want to do it at my own pace and get to see the culture of the country as well

Secondly my wife will not do the trek so I want a nice resort /beach place for her to enjoy while I do this somewhere that she can just sit and enjoy the ocean has all the amenities for her as well

If anyone has any advise I would really appreciate it .

We just returned from Indonesia in November where we spent 35 days exploring Borneo and central Java as well as Raja Ampat as I scuba dive as well, so we know all about this part of the world but the Kokoda trail is something I have wanted to do for a while now

Cheers

2 replies to this topic
Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
414 posts
22 reviews
38 helpful votes
1. Re: Kokoda trail in April 2025

Kokoda Trekking Ltd and Buna Trek and Tours are two locally based operators.

Melbourne, Australia
1 post
1 review
2. Re: Kokoda trail in April 2025

Get your wife to stay in Cairns. There’s nothing in Port Moresby and all the Hotels are gated with heavy security presence. It’s not really safe for a woman by herself. There are plenty of tour operators I went wit Australian Kokoda Tours who stay in guest houses. Plenty of interaction with locals and a rolling history lesson along the way. You’ll need a porter it’s an extremely difficult trek

Reply to: Kokoda trail in April 2025
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Papua New Guinea
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.