We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American airline will stop service to La Paz

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
American airline will stop service to La Paz

Effective after July 4. 2018 American airline will stop service to La Pax

5 replies to this topic
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: American airline will stop service to La Paz

I saw that announcement as well. Stopping service due to insufficient market demand, after 28 years.

I was planning to go again next year sometime (early 2019). I wonder what the options will be.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
39,640 posts
659 reviews
2. Re: American airline will stop service to La Paz

So this must be the Miami route. I would imagine with needing a visa to go also plays a part.

Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
559 posts
237 reviews
3. Re: American airline will stop service to La Paz

yup it's a triangular flight, miami-la paz-santa cruz-miami, only la paz was dropped...

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: American airline will stop service to La Paz

I was told at one point that this route was flown by a modified 757 that allowed for the higher altitude takeoffs and landings at La Paz. The same individual told me that the plane couldn't be fully re-fueled in La Paz, due to weight, and had to fly to lower altitude (Santa Cruz) to refuel before heading back to Miami.

I guess for those of us flying from the USA, if we want American, we'd have to fly to Santa Cruz and then book something like BoA to La Paz.

Edited: 17 March 2018, 00:39
Florianopolis, SC
Level Contributor
559 posts
237 reviews
5. Re: American airline will stop service to La Paz

yup. the problem of LPB will always be its altitude. even for us flying from brazil. the last direct flight into LPB was more than a decade ago, since then we fly either into VVI or CBB and connect.

Reply to: American airline will stop service to La Paz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted