We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

Hi all,

My wife and I, plus two of our friends, are travelling to a few places across Peru and Bolivia (plus Buenos Aires) for 3.5 weeks - most of the trip is planned, but we're hoping for a bit of advice for one section spanning Cusco, Peru to La Paz, Bolivia!

Here's what we were thinking (and only the first day leaving Cusco and the last day, leaving for Uyuni, are set in stone)...

Day 1: Leave Cusco at night for an overnight trip (Bolivia Hop Bus) ...

Day 2: Arrive in Puno, do a quick early morning touristy island tour, then continue on the Bolivia Hop Bus to Copacabana (arrive 1:30pm)... hang out then stay in Copacabana overnight

Day 3: Do a trip out to Isla del Sol, get back to Copacabana in time for the 6pm Bolivia Hop Bus to La Paz... arrive in La Paz at 10:30pm.

Day 4: La Paz

Day 5: La Paz

Day 6: La Paz

Day 7: La Paz

Day 8: La Paz, then overnight bus from La Paz to Uyuni

Also, after a three day tour of the Salt Flats, we're catching a night bus back from Uyuni to La Paz, then we'll have that whole day in La Paz, then we stay the night and fly out early the next day... so that's one more (tired) day in La Paz... a lot of time in La Paz!

So here are some key questions:

- Is it okay to rush through Puno, in and out within a few hours? We've heard it's just a tourist trap and it wasn't originally in our plan - we just added it in because the Bolivia Hop Bus stops there anyway.

- Should we stick to the Bolivia Hop Bus? We've read good things, and we like that they can guide us through the border and give decent advice on stuff.

- Should we cut one of the nights in La Paz to stay overnight on Isla del Sol? We've struggled to find some decent accommodation, and we've read that there are some local issues with crossing from the south to the north. Is it worth just heading over on the morning ferry and coming back in the afternoon for the 6pm bus to La Paz? Can we do a bit of hiking, catch some views and see some ruins in that time?

- Coroico looks pretty interesting - would it be worth dropping off some days in La Paz to head out to Coroico? And how long would we need to make it worth it? Especially if we were to fit in the La Senda Wildlife Sanctuary..? How would this fit in?

We're heading out in just over three weeks, so we'd really appreciate any advice from keen travellers who have set foot in these places!

Thanks in advance! :)

Dion

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
1. Re: Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

Hello, I just came back from Bolivia in May. I personally will suggest you to look at Sajama National Park which is less than four hours driving from La Paz. The landscape is stunning beautiful. I personally prefer Sajama to Coroico. Coroico is a small village and doesn't need too much time to spend .

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
219 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

Hi,

I'm not much of an expert in most of the areas of your trip, however I know La Paz and Coroico very well. So in relation to this question:

- Coroico looks pretty interesting - would it be worth dropping off some days in La Paz to head out to Coroico? And how long would we need to make it worth it? Especially if we were to fit in the La Senda Wildlife Sanctuary..? How would this fit in?

Definitely recommend it. Actually, it's possible to go to Coroico and back in a day. If for example, you were to be at the Villa El Carmen bus terminal ( https://goo.gl/maps/Hvj5p7Hxfhu ) at 7am, you could be in Coroico before 9am. From Coroico you can take a taxi down the hill to La Senda Verde (15 minutes, 40 BOB) and spend a few hours there. They are not open in the afternoon, so make sure you go in the morning. If I recall correctly, the entry price is 100 BOB per person, all money goes to the animals. Or you could ask the bus driver to drop you off at La Senda Verde when you get your ticket at the bus terminal as it is more or less on the way to Coroico.

Coroico itself is very small. You could have lunch at La Senda Verde or you could go back to Coroico for lunch (I recommend Carla's Pub Garden down the steps at the north side of the Plaza). Coroico is super laid back and there isn't a lot to do, but it is quaint. Then at 4pm go to Coroico bus terminal and be back in La Paz by 7pm.

For Isla Del Sol (I'm not much of a fan) I found that 1 day was more than enough. In fact in my personal opinion, the island is over rated, practically nothing to do there except walk and take pictures. This time of year it is VERY cold at night.

Hope this helps.

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
3. Re: Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

Thanks for your replies!!

@Chien-Wu L - We're doing a trip to the Salt Flats so don't have time to fit Sajama in without exhausting ourselves or sacrificing time in La Paz/Coroico...

@JTJ82 - thanks very much for your advice! We're thinking of actually staying overnight in La Sende Verde if we can make it work - and then from there, we could just do a short visit to Coroico... so maybe La Paz bus to La Senda Verde, check in, and then visit Coroico maybe that afternoon or even the next day, before we head back to La paz... do you think that would work? Staying in La Sende Verde AND a relatively short visit to Coroico?

So fitting it into the original itinerary...

Day 3: Copacabana, Bolivia Hop Bus to La Paz... arrive in La Paz at 10:30pm.

Day 4: La Paz

Day 5: La Paz

Day 6: La Paz to La Senda Verde/Coroico, overnight stay in La Senda Verde

Day 7: Coroico/La Senda Verde to La Paz, overnight stay in La Laz

Day 8: La Paz, then overnight bus from La Paz to Uyuni

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
62 reviews
4. Re: Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

And now we're considering....

Day 1: Leave Cusco on overnight bus...

Day 2: Arrive at Puno at 6am, 2 hour tour of flaoting islands, onto Copa, arrive at 1:30pm, stay in Copa

Day 3: Most of the day in Copa OR Isla del Sol, catch 6:30pm Bolivia Hop bus to La Paz, arrive at 10:30pm in La Paz

Day 4: Wake up in La Paz, catch morning bus to Coroico OR La Senda Verde

Day 4: Explore Coroico / La Senda Verde

Day 5: Leave Coroico / La Senda Verde around midday, catch bus back to La Paz...

Day 6: Spend day in La Paz, stay overnight

Day 7: Spend most of the day in La Paz, catching night bus down to Uyuni

Thoughts?

5. Re: Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Copacabana VS Coroico VS La Paz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2018, 16:17