We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female tourist dress code

1 post
Female tourist dress code

Travelling for a break to Doha next week. Appreciate that I can’t wear typical European holiday clothes but is it ok to wear knee length (just above knee) dresses, skirts, shorts and also vest tops/dresses with straps when visiting shopping malls? I read that shoulders should be covered, clothes should be loose fitting and below knee but I am seeing otherwise in some pictures. How strict is the dress code ? Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Aluva, India
Level Contributor
2,519 posts
77 reviews
41 helpful votes
1. Re: Female tourist dress code

It's perfectly OK to wear knee length skirts, shorts and also dresses with straps when visiting shopping malls.

Though I have seen many wearing tight fitting clothes and shorts below knee length, I would never advise you to do that as the rule is to wear modest clothes, not to expose your shoulders and not to wear skirts/shorts below knee length.

Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
561 posts
27 reviews
15 helpful votes
2. Re: Female tourist dress code

While visiting shopping malls make sure to wear decent dresses without half naked / Swimming clothes / and leisure clothes.

vest tops/dresses with straps are not recommended.

Public area dresses would be decent.

Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Female tourist dress code

I visited 2 malls whilst in Doha a month ago . First of all most of the other customers were local people not tourists so we’re dressed pretty conservatively, secondly the locals now consider this to be winter and colder ( Yes even at 90 degrees ) so were not dressed in summer clothes .

A knee length skirt is fine but don’t wear a strappy t shirt with it . No one will say anything if you do but you will look out of place if you understand me .

Museums are quite strict , they asked my 16 year old son to pull his shorts down slightly so they came to his knee .

Feel free to ask any further questions .

LNG
Marco Island...
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
39 helpful votes
4. Re: Female tourist dress code

You stated NOT to wear shorts or skirts below the knee?

H A
Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
37 posts
5. Re: Female tourist dress code

please don't, some mall are stricter than others so it will depend. even if no one says anything you will get weird looks and disapproval stares.

Yes, we don't require foreigners to our dress codes, but we expect you to wear a bit more modest than what you wear in your country, so please don't wear crop tops, skirts above the knee or shorts.

so t-shirts, dresses, jeans, skirts are all fine.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
118 posts
54 reviews
288 helpful votes
6. Re: Female tourist dress code

I was covered from neck to wrist to ankle last week and even wore a scarf draped over my head. Didn’t stop the local men from treating me like chattle at a 5 star hotel. Refused to move so I could exit a door, tried multiple times to take cuts in front of me. Wear whatever you’d like they don’t appreciate your wish to be respectful (that said I would still cover shoulders knees cleavage). I will never return. Barbaric.

Carshalton, United...
Level Contributor
1,186 posts
200 reviews
179 helpful votes
7. Re: Female tourist dress code

Ref #6

I can only say that our experience is totally different to yours.

Staying in a 5 Star Hotel, all staff are extremely polite,as are the majority of guests. There is security at every door/entrance plus at the beach/pools, so if something were to occur it could easily be reported. Cameras are everywhere,so you feel completely safe/comfortable.

As for the public domain, we used the Metro yesterday.Even when the transport was full, the local men gave up their seat for my girlfriend to sit down and also insisted that I sat next to her also for the journey. There was no leering or anything untoward.

Reply to: Female tourist dress code
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.