We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY

Warsaw, Poland
1 post
Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

Jordan one of the most beautiful and wonderful places that I have visited in my life.

Everything was excellent, except the (Gangs) the taxis drivers at Jordan side of Eilat/Aqaba border!!

Did not take more than 15 minutes to cross the border, I asked for the bus station and how much the taxi, they all attacked and says no buses now, and you have to take taxi direct to Petra, it was 11:00am and I am sure there are many buses at this time.

I said no I want to go to the bus station and wait for the bus, they said ok you can walk out there, I said ok, I will walk to there (I have no choice) After 5 minutes of walking, one of them followed me and asked me to ride to take me to the bus station in Aqaba, I said ok how much, he said 11JOD, and because of the influence of the hot sun I have to agree. And before we go to the bus station he offered me to take me to Petra for 25JOD instead of waiting the bus, and he said the bus will take from you 10JOD, so I said ok I will pay 25JD instead of 11 for him and 10 for the bus which is almost same, then he said ok wait 5 minutes, but it was 50 minutes not 5!! during this time he made numerous calls, with who and why I don't know!! I asked him can we go, he said please give me more 5 minutes, I said ok, and I asked him to open the A/C he said it is not working!!!

After 15 minutes another driver came and he said to me this is my friend and he will take you to Petra and give him 25JD, I said ok, I go with him and in the middle of the way, this new driver he asked me how much he told you to give me, I said 25JD, he said (angrily) WHAT?? I will not take you for 25JD, you have to pay more, I said ok I will pay more when we arrive, he said no now and he stopped the car, I asked him how much and he said 45JD, or I will not take you, I said ok and I paid 45JD.

Then after we left the desert highway and at the rest house there, he met a friend who will go to Petra and he asked him to take me with him, I still have no choice so I said ok I will go with him, but i will not pay anything, he said no you will not pay. This the last driver was really very good driver and told me all the story about this sharper, who sell tourists!!

Sorry for the prolongation but you should warn them.. it was very bad experience with them

Amman, Jordan
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
15,946 posts
41 reviews
96 helpful votes
1. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

it is well known about the yellow taxis in Jordan,mongrels take adavantage of tourists.prey on foreigners.

You should have stuck to your decision and went to Aqaba bus station for Petra.

thanks for the warning

cheers

Raymond

Amman Pasha Hotel

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa, Amman
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
2. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

The drivers of the green taxis at the border in Aqaba are truly the lowest from of life in Jordan. They intimidate tourists, they scream at other drivers who come there to meet guests and demand money from these drivers, they overcharge and then they sell their costumers 3 times along the way. The best thing is to stay far away from those Aqaba border taxis and let your hotel in Petra or wherever you're going arrange a driver to meet you there, it's the only way to avoid all the hassle.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
3. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

To be just a bit fair, they pay a fairly high premium for the right to pick up fares there, and they need several trips a day just to break even.

The second driver in this story did give the OP a correct price: 45JD is fair for this trip.

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

45 JOD is indeed a fair rate but the rate on the board there is 55 JOD. I do understand your point but the way they handle things is very rude and intimidating and it doesn't exactly say 'welcome to Jordan" to people who just crossed the border.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
5. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

I completely agree with Patricia. They sell their customers 3 times (or more) along the way, they intimidate tourists, and they do not have any idea about tourism

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
58 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

If you just wanted to go from the boarder to Aqaba what would the fare be? Would it be advisable to arrange for the hotel you are staying at in Aqaba to have someone to pick you up?

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
7. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

Welcome to Jordan

The fair price from the border to Aqaba 7-8JOD not more

Ask your hotel if they can arrange car and that will be much better

Enjoy

Jordan Beauty Tours

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,066 posts
33 reviews
16 helpful votes
8. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

I'm afraid some hotels in Aqaba tend to seriously overcharge as well so make sure you ask for the price before you agree to a pick up via the hotel.

Patricia (Petra B&B)

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
3,301 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

The problem is that if the hotel sends a car to collect you, it would have to charge the standard price and pay the taxis 10JD to compensate for their loss of business.

What about the service (white) taxis going to Aqaba, were they not in sight?

Petra - Wadi Musa...
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
1 review
10. Re: Eilat/Aqaba border taxis (Arava Border) - STAY AWAY
Save

No service (white) taxis in Aqaba

There are plenty of tourist cars in Aqaba, so when you ask your hotel make sure it's tourist car not taxi

© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of in . If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.