We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Panjakent to 7 lakes

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
387 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Panjakent to 7 lakes

Hi everyone, how much would it cost for a day trip from Panjakent to the 7 lakes? We are 2 people and we are just considering our options. is it also possible to do it from Samarkand or better start in Panjakent?Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
276 posts
1,777 reviews
494 helpful votes
1. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

Samarkand and Panjakent are very near ... but of course there's a border in the middle.

In Samarkand it took me maybe 20 minutes by marshrutka from my hotel to Kaftarxona bus station (ho! ho! it's not a bus station at all, but a road with a lot of buses in it).

Then around 45 minutes by marshrutka to the border,.

There were not many people entering Tajikistan so the border stuff took me perhaps half an hour (on the way back for some reason the queues were a hell of a lot longer).

Then 15 minutes or so to Panjakent.

So not a long journey at all, but inevitably with a border there will be some faffing around, and as you have to sleep somewhere before the trip to me it would make more sense to do Samarkand > Panjakent in the early evening, sleep in Panjakent, and then you have the whole day for the Seven Lakes.

Plus I would think a Panjakent hotel will sort out the excursion for you. One did for me for 870 somoni (price for a taxi for one to the lakes and back).

But each to their own!

Edited: 13 January 2024, 12:41
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
387 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

Thanks Dave for the usuful info. After the 7 lakes trip do you think it is recommended to sleep again in Panjakent or better go to Samarkand in the evening? Not sure how the border is in the evening.

Adria, Italy
Level Contributor
276 posts
1,777 reviews
494 helpful votes
3. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

Well my trip was from 9am to 4pm, more or less.

Presumably your driver would drop you at the border, and around 4pm it should be easy to get a marshtutka back to Samarkand.

Panjakent is a small town, you can walk down its high street in 10 minutes, there isn't masses to do at 4pm.

Bucaramanga...
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
4. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

I though Penjakent was really interesting and very different than Samarkand so I recommend a night or two.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

The easiest way🙂 contact us and we will meet you at the border city tour in Panjakent and seven lakeand back to the border only for130$

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

Hello, I am in a similar dilemma. Panjakent is worth to spend a full day vs. other options (such as Iskanderkul, Khujand or an extra day in Uzbekistan?

What do you think?

A Z
1 post
7. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

Please share your contact number

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
22,371 posts
464 reviews
508 helpful votes
8. Re: Panjakent to 7 lakes

No, Pendjikent is not very interesting. Best to stay in the mountains.

Reply to: Panjakent to 7 lakes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.