We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One week in Tajikistan

Tehran, Iran
4 posts
One week in Tajikistan

Hi there,

Me and my wife are in the process of planning our 2-week Uzbekistan and Tajikistan trip towards the end of May.

The idea is to stay in each country for a week and we have have pretty much finalised the Uzbekistan itinerary.

We will be arriving in Tajikistan in Panjakent. We want to do a couple of 'nature' days (light hiking) to see the lakes in and around Fan Mountains. We would also like to visit Khojand and we are flying out from Dushanbe.

What do you think would be the best way/itinerary to achieve the above? Anything we have missed?

Thanks in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Level Contributor
61 posts
1. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Hello, if you love the nature then you should go to the Fan mountains (7 lakes), if history then you should go to Khujand.

Both of them would very good combination.

Edited: 1 year ago
Tehran, Iran
4 posts
2. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Thanks for your reply! We're doing exactly that.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
3. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Hello! How was your trip at the end, I am planning to do something similar this next October. How did you find Khujand (in terms of beauty, feel and sightseeing) after the impressions of the Uzbek cities? Any other tips that would you have for Tajikistan (I plan to stay ~5 days in the country, but maybe I can spend less and more in Tashkent where I am planning a total of 8-9 days between Khiva, Bukhara, Samarkand and Tashkent).

Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Level Contributor
11 posts
4. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Hello!

I am a local tour company based in Panjakent and as a main destination we offer Fann Mountains tours&hike. So we very specialized in this area. And I do mostly organize tailor-made tours all over Tajikistan. And I have pretty many options for you to offer.

So for further information and easy talks message me to Whatsapp or via a convenient method from my company's website: http://www.marcopolo.tj

Beat regards, Said from Tajikistan.

Edited: 27 February 2024, 17:13
Dushanbe, Tajikistan
Level Contributor
11 posts
5. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Hello!

I'm a local tour company from Tajikistan. And I can organize your tour accordingly to your interests.

Let me know how can I help you.

My company's website: http://www.marcopolo.tj

My Whatsapp number: +992926330203

Tehran, Iran
4 posts
6. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Hi there,

We ended up with the following itinerary (2 weeks):

Fly to Tashkent

Tashkent (2 days)

Fly to Khiva

Khiva (2 days)

Car share to Bukhara

Bukhara (2 days)

Train to Samarkand

Samarkand (2 days)

Car to Panjakent

Panjakent (2 days)

Car share to Khujand

Khujand (1 day)

Car share to Dushanbe

Dushanbe (2 days)

Fly from Dushanbe

The Uzbekistan itinerary was great. The length of time we spent there was satisfactory. Panjakent was great and if you are into nature and hiking, you could spend even more time here. Khujand was underwhelming and generally speaking we were a little less impressed by Tajikistan than Uzbekistan.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Thanks a lot for your answer!

Yes, I am struggling with the Tajikistan itinerary portion my trip. From your point of view:

- Would you skip Khujand at all? Did you go to Istaravshan?

- What did you like more? Dushanbe or Khujand? Dushanbe or Tashkent?

- Would you spend more leisure time in the Uzbek cities (e.g. 3 days in Bukhara and 3 days in Samarkand) vs. your time in Khujand and Dushanbe?

I think going to Panjakent from Samarkand and spend 1 day on the Haftkul + 1 day in Iskanderkul is a great plan. That I will do for sure...

Tehran, Iran
4 posts
8. Re: One week in Tajikistan

You can skip Khujand. It hardly has anything you hadn't seen before in the other cities.

I liked the cities in this order: Tashkent > Dushanbe > Khujand

I would recommend spending more time in Bukhara or Samarkand than spend a day in Khujand. I still recommend going to Dushanbe, as there are plenty of things worth seeing there. Fewer older historic things to visit but more Soviet and post-Soviet era sights. And the National Museum in Dushanbe was wonderful too.

In Panjakent you could visit either of Haftkul or Iskanderkul. Haftkul is more varied, Iskanderkul is more gigantic. You should visit both if you are a nature-lover but if you're not, one will suffice.

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
59 posts
20 reviews
3 helpful votes
9. Re: One week in Tajikistan

Thanks a lot Dankeepsie. This is really great advise!

Reply to: One week in Tajikistan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.