We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My short layover at Vientiane

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
86 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
My short layover at Vientiane

I will arrive at Vientiane at 9.30am. My next flight out to LP is 3.30pm, on the same day, on a Thursday.

Question:

1. Yes, it's very short time but can I venture out to the town? I am estimating that I could probably reach town latest by 11.30am. And I need to go back to airport latest by 1.30pm. That gives me TWO hours minimum to be out. Maybe I am overestimating my timing?

2. If yes I can go to town then what should I see - if there's just one or two thing. For eg: I am from Malaysia and hence I would say the Petronas Twin Towers for Kuala Lumpur is a must.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

You can be in town in 15 minutes generally - its only a few km from airport to town centre.

On the way back you'll need to get there 45 mins - 1 hour before your flight to LP (no need for 2hrs on internal flights), so if you get a taxi or tuktuk from town 2pm that will be plenty time - so you will have 4 hours free.

You can get a taxi or any tuktuk to take you round the main Vientiane "sights" in that time - temples, Patuxai, riverfront etc. Have a look in the "Top Questions" in the right hand corner for ideas.

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
86 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

Thanks bluecramp - right now I have some initial quotes of USD70 to pick me up from the airport to tour and then send me back to airport. I am weighing in cost vs convenience and I read that even getting a tuk tuk for a tour would probably cost me like USD50? Any idea how much are taxis out and to the airport?

Would you recommend a DIY or get it arranged? Thank you again

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

Definitely DYI - $70 for a 4 hour trip round what is a fairly small town by wolrd standards is ridiculous. A taxi from the airport to town centre is $7. A tuktuk from just outside the airport about $4-5.

A half-day tour round the main central sights in a tuktuk should certainly not cost more than $20 although their are many tuktuk sharks that will try it on with you. However, you can always find a reasonably honest tuktuk if you speak to 3 or 4. You could also hire a bicycle for $2 and visit the key central attractions like that with a free map - the distances are small.

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
86 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

Thank you very much. Thats what I would do!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

I would head into the centre of town and see Patuxai and the Pha That Luang monument.

6. Re: My short layover at Vientiane

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2014, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Vientiane