We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monks' alms procession

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Monks' alms procession

My thanks to bluecramp for his response to my earlier post. I do have another question. Can anyone recommend good places in Vientiane to watch the dawn monks' alms procession (Tak Bat)?.

Edited: 05 November 2012, 16:56
Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monks' alms procession

The well known tak baht tourist spectacle is in luangprabang- but i would avoid it if i were you as it is way out of hand now. If you want to quietly observe tak bat in vientiane you can get to simuang temple at dawn to see it.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
185 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monks' alms procession

Thanks (again) bluecramp. You read my mind. I was thinking of seeing this in Vientiane rather than in Luang Prabang.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monks' alms procession

Not just Wat Simeuang, but any temple will have monks processing for food. I pass at least 5 on my way to work every day.

Oraison, France
Level Contributor
542 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monks' alms procession

if we go "at dawn" to see the monk's morning alms what time should we get to the temple and as a tourist I guess it's not so easy to give the monks a portion of rice ... what can we bring and give them ??

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monks' alms procession

6.30 is about right. Small cakes, pre packed sandwiches are fine.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monks' alms procession

Giving to the monks - could I suggest that you try & give food that is healthy. Many of the novice monks are young teenagers so a diet of sticky rice & biscuits is not good. Look around your guest house or hotel area for a mini market & buy small tins of tuna - about 15,000 kip or $2 each. Or even fruit. Try & avoid sweets or fizzy drinks.

I have even seen visiting monks & officials giving money including THB. But if you do put the notes in the monks shoulder bag or put the notes in a plastic sandwich bag so there do not get dirty touching the sticky rice. Money is good as the temple can then use it to buy other food to supplement what has been given. I was told by one novice that I support for school that his temple allows novice monks to keep only 10,000 KIP of any money donated and anything else must go to the temple. This may vary between temples.

7. Re: Monks' alms procession

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 23:16
Get answers to your questions about Vientiane