We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong upstream start then downstream to Huai Xai

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
167 reviews
Mekong upstream start then downstream to Huai Xai

Just over 2 years ago I did a trip from H-X downstream to LP and then onward through Pongsavanh and on to Dien Bien .... I understood the "upper" part of the Mekong was scenic, but did not go due to time constraints.

Where do the boats start from on their way downstream to (say) Huai Xai? How accessible are these sites by bus? Any idea of prices (in Kip).

I have a week to do such a trip (starting and ending in Huai Xai) - in early-mid September (during Eid holidays). Thanks for any info.

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,347 posts
278 reviews
1. Re: Mekong upstream start then downstream to Huai Xai

Houayxay is as far upstream as you can start from on a boat trip. Further north than that the Mekong goes through the sensitive Golden Triangle area and then into China. You can visit this area by bus from luang Namtha (Muang Sing, Xieng Kok and surrounds) and it is very nice - but no river cruises.

There are other scenic boat trips on the Nam Ou river up from Luang Prabang.

2. Re: Mekong upstream start then downstream to Huai Xai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2017, 18:16