We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

28 days in northern Laos and hoping to stay in low to average priced accommodation. Are the in situ nets reliable or do they often have holes? Having just read Dervla Murphy's "One foot in Laos" it has raised this question in my mind!

Vientiane, Laos
Destination Expert
for Vientiane
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
278 reviews
1. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

I've stayed in $3-10 guest houses all over northern Laos and have never seen a single net up. Hanging points are rare too - the ceilings are always high. Spraying the room before going out for food in the evening works fine though.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
95 reviews
2. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

I have never seen nets up either, in any guesthouse or hotel. In view of the fact that there is a dengue fever outbreak, particularly in the Savannakhet area, t may not be a bad idea to carry yor own. Spraying should work, but you could be unlucky.

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

Some hotels and guesthouses do have them, but they are certainly not common. Many cheaper guesthouses will have fly screens over the windows. As already mentioned, a good spray of the room before you go out for dinner should be fine.

manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

Thanks Bluecramp. One further minor question .... Do double rooms have two single beds or is it always a double bed? My sister in law and I usually share a room on holiday but prefer single beds. Sorry to be asking such trite questions but you have been very helpful so far and I am pushing my luck!.M

manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

Thanks for advice and especially info on the Dengue Fever outbrake. Food for thought. Best wishes M

Laos
Level Contributor
502 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

Double rooms have one large bed, twin rooms have two beds (usually singles).

manchester
Level Contributor
11 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

Thanks for prompt reply. Best wishes M.

Vientiane
Level Contributor
6,561 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

You can buy Deet here, and you should use it.

9. Re: Mosquito nets. Do we need to carry our own?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 January 2011, 19:16
Get answers to your questions about Laos