We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money for Laos and Thailand

Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Money for Laos and Thailand

So I’m doing a backpack sort of trip through Laos and Thailand and I’m struggling to find info on how much money I should take. Would £100/200 be enough each for Laos and when in Thailand? As I guess I will only be needing it for water and some food? I also read that when entering Laos (I think it was) you need to have a certain amount of spending money??? Please help as I go next month!

7 replies to this topic
London, UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
55 reviews
1. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

£100 each for how long. A day? A month? It makes a big difference.

Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

Speak in local currency.

£100 for Laos is about LAK1.1M

£200 for Thailand is about THB8,800

Some travellers spend this much per day, others stretch it out to a week or two. Which one are you?

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
42 reviews
3. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

You don't need to declare a certain amount of spending money when entering these countries.

Thailand does require this for nationals from certain countries because they want be sure the visitors are genuine tourists and not sneaking in for illegal work.

Bring some of your own currency to exchange and a credit/debit card to withdraw extra as and when you need it.

Edited: 06 July 2018, 23:03
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

I’m only spending less then a week in both Laos and Thailand it’s jisy to get an idea of how much I need in terms for water and a spot of lunch/snacks through out the day

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
16 posts
5. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

Hi, in Thailand I was spending around 1000 baht a day; 200 breakfast, 200 lunch, 300 evening meal and the rest on drinks. My money went further up North in Chiang mai than when I was down in Phuket. In Laos, depends what you eat, street food we pay around 10,000 kip for a kebab wrap or pancakes and in a sit down restaurant about 50,000 for burger and chips or 25,000 for local food. Water costs 4,000-6,000 for a big bottle, about the same for a can of coke.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 17:52
puerto princesa
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
449 reviews
6. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

Easy to survive on $10 a day for your food but then you have to figure out transport and accommodation costs

Vientiane, Laos
Level Contributor
16 posts
7. Re: Money for Laos and Thailand

If you want to save money,bring cash with you and change it along the way. In Thailand the ATM charged me around £5 for each withdrawal and my bank (Barclays) added and extra £6+ on top. Also the Laos kip we had leftover we found we couldn't change back to another currency before we left as noone would exchange it so just change over what you you will use. It was easy to exchange Thai Baht everywhere in Laos too,and many places accepted it as payment instead of kip.

Reply to: Money for Laos and Thailand
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted