We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

England
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Hi

Due to a mistake on entry to Hanoi we will be overstaying our 15 day visa by 4 days when we leave via HCMC. We're both from

UK and understand we will be fined when we leave the airport?

Does anyone have any experience in such circumstances, how much will we likely be expected to pay?

Thanks

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Assuming you are not in Vietnam now, then I would enter Vietnam on a VOA single entry 30 days. It will be cheaper than a fine, of which I do not know the quantum, and this will be levied by the day so if you are 4 days over it is 4 times the cost. Further you may be denied re-entry in the future. It's new territory so who knows at this stage.

It would be even better if you could leave VN for a day and then re-enter on your exemption.

Cheers Ross

Edited: 16 February 2016, 22:59
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Going by what has already been reported your fine for 4 days over for two people will be in the vicinity of $800.

Plus a banning of 5 years re entry stamped in your passport which never looks good when entering other countries.

It would be cheaper to pop across to Cambodia by bus and get a new visa and come back to HCMC in time to leave for your flight home.

You really havent explained your exact problem so we are having to read between the lines.

Can you explain what went wrong at Hanoi.

Edited: 17 February 2016, 00:15
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
6,869 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

"Can you explain what went wrong at Hanoi."

Hey DP,

I can't post a link, but Andy started a thread back on 10 February about the issue he had when he arrived in Hanoi.

The thread title is "Incorrect Visa".

Cheers,

Scott

England
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Hi Scott

Yes I did post on the 10th, I ended up being confused as to the best course of action as there was a lot of conflicting speculation as to what to do penalties etc.

We had a VOA pre-arranged and should have applied it at the Aiport but due to series of mistakes on our part (all stupid) we ended up being landslide with our passports stamped for only 15 days. We are staying 19 days in total.

When we contacted Vietnam visa to go they said there was nothing they could do and said we would be fined on leaving at c1.5m Dong

As we flew from Hanoi to Danang I thought it may complicate things further by raising the issue when we flew out the other day, I didn't want to get caught up in an additional fine with the issue remaining when we leave HCMC.

$800 sounds horrendous!

Is it an option to have VOA approved when we are in HCMC and pay fees, maybe at immigration department?

Are we able to leave Vietnam to Cambodia for an overnight stay and re-enter with a new 15 day stamp? Is this allowed?

Don't we need a visa for Cambodia, how much would this be?

Any advice would be much appreciated thanks

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,748 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

"Are we able to leave Vietnam to Cambodia for an overnight stay and re-enter with a new 15 day stamp? Is this allowed?"

Unfortunately not - there must be a 30-day gap between visa-exempt entries.

Nor can you obtain a visa within Vietnam.

However there has been a report by someone who managed to extend their 15-day exemption for another 15 days (through a travel agent I think). It wasn't cheap, but much less than $100 and certainly less than the fine will be.

Edited: 17 February 2016, 01:16
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

No you have already used up your 15 day visa exemption and you cant get another one till 30 days have passed.

Your cheapest option is bus to Phnom Penh and go straight to a travel agent on the waterfront and pay a rush job to get your visa quickly and then bus straight back to HCMC.

there is one other way you can use up your original VOA and that is to contact the agent and ask them to fax the approval letter to the Vietnam Embassy in Phnom Penh and as soon as you get off the Giant Ibis bus go straight to the embassy and present your approval letter and pay them the US$25 each and then rush back to the Giant Ibis bus company and come straight back to HCMC on their last bus of the day.

If you decide to stay overnight in Phnom Penh then a room in Rory's Irish Bar will set you back US$11

www.rorysirishbar.com/content/guesthouse

I used to do my visa runs this way as it forces the embassy to only charge you $25 as the visa has already been approved so no application fees on the part of the embassy.

Edited: 17 February 2016, 01:29
England
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Hi Pierre

Thanks for your great advice, I think I will contact the VOA company and ask them to do this, I've always wanted to go to PP and our trip is totally flexible so probably the best way to resolve.

It's a shame I f@#ked it up but not like anyone got hurt!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

If you are going to spend a couple of days there then another place I have stayed at several times is California 2 Guesthouse.

phnompenhnightlife.com/california-2-guesthou…

England
Level Contributor
156 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

Thanks creaking bones, I think I might ask the question again as a separate forum question as I hadn't heard of this option, it would be easier than leaving country and re-entering....it's worth asking

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fine for overstaying 15 day visa?

The best place for trying to get an ext is in the backpacker area.

Standing on the cnr of Bui Vien st and De Tham st in front of the Crazy Buffalo bar walk back along De Tham st over Bui Vien st and the first travel agency on your right is the cheapest agency for extentions as I have questioned them all over the years. That agency was consistently cheaper than all the others.

Its a few doors from the Sinh Tourist office.

Edited: 17 February 2016, 14:26
Get answers to your questions about Ho Chi Minh City