We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 posts
nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

pls help me. first time there. i like night life so i need some information's. is the alcohol cheep? are any bars with girls? what time the bars closed? is hanoi safe to walk at the street alone at night? are the locals speek or understand

english? thanks for your reviews.

Santa Barbara de...
Level Contributor
1,139 posts
65 reviews
88 helpful votes
1. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

I do not like nightlife myself but everything you are looking for is in Hanoi's Old Quarter area. Bars normally close around 2ish but it varies. There is also a nice club/rooftop bar on top of the relatively new Lotte Building which is worth checking out.

I found safe at night, but i wasn't inebriated, just jet lag. Hanoi is also more conservative than Saigon, so if you are looking for a wild night out, consider Saigon!

Enjoy Vietnam!

Edited: 06 July 2016, 02:47
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
74 reviews
58 helpful votes
2. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

I agree, if you like to party at night, Saigon and Nha Trang are your kind of places, but you will find plenty to keep you busy in Hanoi.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
9,198 posts
49 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

Actually, you can have a great night out in Hanoi.

The best place is probably the beer corner, where you find lots of little plastic chairs outside where you can get Bia Hoi ofr under 10.000 Dong or when none is left 15.000 to 20.000 Dong for normal beer. It is a great atmosphere as you will sit there with other tourists and loclas. You get street food as well there. In this area are also some bars with music inside.

Around midnight all bars have to close...you see suddenly chairs disappear, and guests leaving the bars. In the little beer alley though is a place that stays open (in May it was the larger one, during my first visit back in 2014 it was the smaller one opposite of it). It can get a bit busier when tourists and some locals go there for more drinks. I actrually don't know when they close (it is not official) I awalys left before they did.

And if you do not see the pub open becasue shutters are closed, there is always one guy outside ushering people inside. I had some good laughs in there.

Drinks are more expensive.

if you visit the place once the owner and the staff will recognise you as well the next day andare always happy to have a chat.

Walking at night is ok, keep your common sense with you. But if your hotel is in the Old Quarter it is all ok. There is actually a fantastic Banh mi place near the beer places...it is very popular with expats and locals. Obviously many state it is the best Banh Mi place in hanoi...I don't know. I only know that the Banh mi is amazing...one of the best I had in Vietnam for sure.

Otherwsie, for night clubs etc, then as stated above HCMC is a much better choice. Still, I enjoyed Hanoi's nightlife

7 posts
4. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

The best way to enjoy the nightlife in Hanoi is to head to Ta Hien street. People sit on plastic chairs on the road, chatting and talking and the atmosphere is very lively. Best place to chill and to make friends with other travellers or with local people.

And there are also bars and clubs right on Ta Hien street, I highly recommend the 1900 Le Theatre Night Club. Generally all the clubs closes at 00:30 but if you still want to discover more about the nightlife, you can hire a motorbike in advance and drive around the city.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

The best place is Vung Tau ,about 40 bars ,half with girls. There are also discos and clubs that go till 3am and later. Sometimes they will go to sunrise.

You can walk from one end of the bar area to the other in about 20 minutes.

Its probably the safest place to be half cut at 2am. Owners will get you get a safe taxi.

Ive never been overcharged on my bills.

If you want to go there , send me a pm and I will give you a list of recommended bars.

Its 90 mins by ferry from HCMC and about a 1000 hotels in town.

Edited: 07 July 2016, 01:20
Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

Yes alcohol is very cheap and you won't have a problem finding people who speak English. Like the rest of Vietnam, Hanoi is very safe and people very friendly.

If you've had a few drinks though and walk back to your hotel just be careful of guys on motor bikes with girls on the back. The girl will jump off and pretend to be your new best friend but all she is trying to do is find out which pocket your wallet is in.

Nicosia, Cyprus
5 posts
7. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

i want to thank you all for your advice

Level Contributor
1,177 posts
41 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

If you want to be pissed, or well sort of, do not carry a wallet, cary enough money to get you thru the night...newer been robbed in 35 years of traveling except once in Madrid and once in Oslo though. Who needs a wallet on a night out anyway, stash a bit in a safe place on your person and keep the rest in your pocket. During the day this is also sensible, if you want to make major purchases you can always return with a credit card, aded bonus is that you buy less junk that you do not need...

At night this also has the efect of keeping the solo inibriated male traveller out of temptation some places if you get my point...

Edited: 09 July 2016, 11:48
9. Re: nightlife???????? first time at vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2017, 16:17