We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Today I was walking around Kiem Lake when I was approached by a young Vietnamese man who claimed to be 22 and wanted to improve his English to travel to Australia, he asked if he could buy me a coffee and I agreed, we spoke Vietnamese for a bit and I helped him with his English and pronunciation.

During our encounter I asked to add him on Facebook, to which he said his account was locked (alarm bells). Following this we walked to the Hanoi Opera House where I met his brother who told me he would share some culture with me, we jumped on a motorbike and ate some street food which he claimed to be 'tiger meat' with medicinal benefits, and he proceeded to try to tell me things about Vietnamese culture which were certainly false.

When we finished our meal he explained to me that in Vietnamese culture men split bills, well that didn't happen at the first two cafes as I was paid for. He told me to split the 7 million dollar bill in halves with him for this 'special tiger meat' which was only beef brisket worth about 65,000vnd. I told him how crazy the price was and gave him 100k which was all I had on me, he told me we would ride to get more money. First he tried to take me to an ATM, to which I told him I don't bring cards overseas I exchange my local currency as I go and that he would have to take me to my hotel to get money and then take me to exchange it. He told me how he left 4 million dong and his iPhone 8 with the lady who cooked the street food to ensure we came back and paid (obviously she was in on the scam too)

I got him off guard, I went inside the lobby of my hotel which I had actually finished staying at as my flight was in about 4 hours, and had a chat with the staff about my experience, before I could blink he had obviously flee'd after knowing i knew he was full of crap and was going outside to rough him up.

Please be aware of this scam it really nearly got me and I have never heard of such tactics in Hanoi.

34 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,704 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

You let them go too far. The 1st sign of a scam you should go. I certainly wouldn't have got on his brothers moto.

leicester
Level Contributor
2,675 posts
220 reviews
167 helpful votes
2. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Sorry this happened, but never get on a strangers bike to go anywhere, you were lucky it ended where it did.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
74 reviews
58 helpful votes
3. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Sounds like some HCMC scammers have moved north! I totally agree with the others.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
260 reviews
60 helpful votes
4. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Please be careful in travelling and meeting with the stranger.

Do not let them see your money or property.

Luckily not much thing happen to you.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
675 posts
9 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

'Sorry this happened', no you were quite foolish. Were you seriously that bored on holiday that you take off with a stranger even though alarm bells are ringing?

Puerto Princesa...
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
562 reviews
221 helpful votes
6. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Well, that is a new one on me and i hope that not too many people fall for it.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
15,404 posts
74 reviews
58 helpful votes
7. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

This sort of thing happens frequently in Saigon with the gambling scam.

Cairns
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
50 reviews
20 helpful votes
8. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Yes indeed, when we were backpacking India and SE Asia for a year in 85/86 we caught up with a couple from Australia that had got involved in a gambling scam so that speaks volumes about how long these scams have been around.

We were offered inducements along our journey and declined them all, we may have missed out on something special but chances are they were a duck.

Moral of the story If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck then its a duck and walk away

Hanoi, Vietnam
6 posts
9. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

Never go anyway i dont know by motorbike with a stranger. Because u dont know what happen next. Be careful and just walk or go by taxi. Sorry because vietnamese do that for u.

Newport Beach
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
93 reviews
65 helpful votes
10. Re: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.

JD - Can you explain more on the gambling scam? Was it originated from the Saigon and now it is happening in the Ha Noi?

Reply to: A strange scam that happened in Hanoi to me today.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted