We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

South Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Hello TA,

I am thinking about taking a birthday trip to Thailand in February 2019. Yes I know that is soon. I had a different destination in mind in the US where I live right now, but that might change. So last night I thought about traveling to Singapore and taking a trip over to Thailand while I'm there. So I have lots of questions as I am in the very beginning stages and do not have a lot of time since February is only 3 months away.

My trip would start around February 1 or 2 out of the United States of flying to Singapore. I would stay there for 6 days. And then fly to Thailand. From reading TA forums, it sounds like Phuket is a good destination for a good beach getaway.

I am a woman in my mid-30s traveling solo. I will be celebrating my birthday (yes, solo, thats ok with me since others do not travel like me.) I want to go somewhere different for this birthday and fam/friends do not travel as much.

My question is what are good locations in Phuket for a clean beach that is good for swimming? I think that I want to stay at a moderately priced resort to enjoy the amenities there and go on some day activities or trips. I will stay for 4 days then fly back to Singapore on Feb 13 to be there for the CNY parade on the 15. I want to stay somewhere safe since I am a woman traveling solo. I want to be near good transportation options also.

Is there anything that I should know about traveling there in February? I read that it will be getting hot. It is low tourist seadon, right?

I am a US citizen with a passport. Will I need a visa? Looks like I do not need a Visa for Singapore, but do I need any document to go from Singapore to Thailand as a US citizen?

I am thinking about flying from Singapore to Thailand using Jetstar. Is that the best airline option? I am not familiar with the other regional and low cost carriers that pop up in the search.

How do I get from Phuket airport to the resort?

Also, am I right that Phuket is a good choice? In Signapore, I will have a city experience. In Thailand, I want a relaxing beautiful beach experience but also want to explore with activities some.

Your suggestions will be appreciated.

What do you think about this plan overall?

Thanks so much!

22 replies to this topic
Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
105 reviews
107 helpful votes
1. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Hello blueslily,

There are lots of clean beaches in Phuket for swimming. No you do not need a visa if you are travelling with a US passport . You will get a visa exemption stamp when you arrive which is valid for 30 days.( This is NOT visa on arrival. ) It is a free stamp on your passport allowing you to stay up to 30 days. At the airport in Phuket there are taxis to get to the beaches and hotels.Thailand is a very safe country compared to a lot of western countries and about 35 million tourists go there each year including single women, elderly people, people with kids and young people backpacking. Just take the normal precautions you would at home and you should be fine.

Edited: 19 November 2018, 05:10
South Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Robin - thank you for your helpful response!

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,731 posts
105 reviews
107 helpful votes
3. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

You are welcome! Check out the beaches and hotels online before you decide where to stay and ask questions on the forum for that beach or hotel. There are usually plenty of people who have been there before and you can read reviews of the hotels to see what previous guests thought. I hope you have a great trip !

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
625 posts
24 reviews
29 helpful votes
4. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Blueslily, Phuket is a pretty big island with four basic neighborhoods:

* Phuket Town, an older part that's not really a beach destination. Skip it.

* Patong, the biggest beach town, right in the middle of the west coast. It has lots of hotels, resorts, and a very wild nightlife district with go-go bars, etc.

* Kamala, a much more quiet beach village north of Patong.

* Karon Beach and Kata, quiet beach villages south of Patong. You can walk from one to the other, but not to Patong.

I have been to Karon once with my wife and once with my teenage daughter, staying both times at the Old Phuket hotel-resort. The resort part is kind of wasted on me (and I am not a big beach sun worshiper) but the day trips to Phang Nga Bay, Ko Hong, etc., kayaking through the mangroves and caves full of fox bats, are wonderful. DO NOT buy them from your hotel. There are shops selling half-price tickets right around the corner. Also, the slow boats are more pleasurable than the speedboats, which hammer you senseless and give you fewer opportunities to swim in the crystal-clear waters.

Any of the beach towns would be reasonably safe and I wouldn't hesitate to send any of my girls.

Getting around is a bit of a pain because the tuktuk mafia controls pricing, but these guys are changing that:

https://phuketsmartbus.com/

Getting in: I am a big fan of AirAsia. Round trip from SIN is under $100 if you buy early enough. Order the nasi lemak for lunch in advance.

Pack light and enjoy your birthday!

South Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
5. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Yelvington - thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experiences. Your response is very helpful. Its great to hear from someone who can compare the different beach areas. Thanks!

5 posts
6. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Depending on which part you stay in does it get more expensive to travel to places that take you to Phang Nga Bay and the Phi Phi Islands? Like is one place closer to where the boats leave from?

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
625 posts
24 reviews
29 helpful votes
7. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Patong-Karon-Kata are pretty much your baseline. Some tours may charge a couple of dollars extra for a pickup in Kamala and more for out-of-the-way places.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
8. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Hi Blueslily,

I’m from Singapore but currently living in Portland. During your proposed trip that you will be staying in Sg between 1-6 Feb, please note that we will be celebrating Chinese New Year on 5 & 6 Feb. As these are public holidays, it means that most retails and F&B will be closed on both days and even 1/2 day on 4 Feb. In terms of F&B, you will still be able to get fast food options. Thus, you might wish to bring forward your trip to Phuket.

Other Budget airlines in Singapore are Scoot (Sister brand of Singapore Airlines), Air Asia and Jetstar. I usually would use Expedia to book a round trip package for both accommodation and airlines.

I would also recommend using KLOOK.com to book any activities, tours and airport transfer. I have used them for my trips to Japan, Taiwan and Bangkok. It saves me the hassles of finding a tour while i’m on location and they usually have good discounts too.

Hope it helps.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3,551 posts
95 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

There are so many beach areas in Phuket that you can't go wrong...

There are so many budget/Full Service international flight options between Singapore & Phuket for very good reasons...

So many further off beach areas(reference to airport) in Phuket , that has clean & clear waters.. basic snorkelling opportunities direct from the shore as well...

Nai Yang beach so near to the airport , is much quieter than the popular Patong / Karon / Kata / Kata Noi...

Take a close look at Mai Khao , Bang Tao , Kamala , Nai Harn , Yanui , Ao Sane , Nai Thon for other nice beach options..

Rawai & Chalong beach area not really good for swimming though...

As quiet & as noisy as you like...

Don't stay in noisy Bangla Street & expect peace though...

I just found that i spend much lesser at other less popular beach destinations compared fo Phuket , otherwise i"ll be here often really..

Cheers

Scooby

South Carolina
Level Contributor
687 posts
4 reviews
5 helpful votes
10. Re: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019

Hello all,

I am back. I had stopped planning for my February birthday trip due to an issue that halted being able to go. But that problem is resolved and now this trip is back on. I have only a few weeks to go so i am asking for your help again.

My dates are Feb 7 - 13th. Solo female traveling solo with main goal of island hoping to enjoy relaxing at pretty beaches. Im looking for beaches that are good fir swimming, not overrun with boats, and peaceful. I am not looking for party central. Yes, I want some tourist comforts nearby including food and shops, but not a college spring break feel.

So far the plan is that I want to visit Krabi, Phi Phi Islands, Kata, and Karon. Initialy I was planning to fly into Phuket from my prior destination of Singapore. But, when reading postings here on TA, it was advised that I fly into Krabi and stay there due to the distance from the airport being half of the distance to Phuket. Is this accurate? Is Krabi a better base than Phuket for island hopping?

Im hoping to stay in a hotel for 150SDG. Given the areas I want to visit, do you recommend one base or two bases? Meaning maybe a hotel in Phuket fir a few days and then Krabi a few days? Or just one base?

Also, if I reduce my days in Thailand to maybe just beach exploring for 4 days, do you recommend Bali for a couple days? I have ruled out Hong Kong because I dont think I want a crowded city visit during this trip.

Any other recomjendations will be appreciated. I have a lot of work to do quickly.

Edited: 06 January 2019, 08:43
Reply to: Possible trip to Thailand in February 2019
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted