We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety at the beach?

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
11 reviews
Safety at the beach?

Apologies for so many questions! Wondering how safe it is to leave our beach bag/towels on the beach while snorkeling?

E

Scotland
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
1. Re: Safety at the beach?

Leave nothing you can't afford to lose, anywhere.

Same as anywhere else.

Edited: 03 September 2011, 07:59
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,982 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Safety at the beach?

Towels, t-shirts etc and books should be OK but I wouldn't be leaving wallets or keys there. I've never had a problem but there are thieves everywhere in the world and it isn't worth taking a chance.

I would leave my room key with reception or attach it to my cossie. I would generally take a small backpack with me that I would leave on the beach but would only have a tiny bit of money with me (enough for an icecream or drink).

Edited: 03 September 2011, 15:43
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Safety at the beach?

No problems, I'll watch it for you.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
4. Re: Safety at the beach?

just leave your wallet by your lounger on the sand, with a few 1000bht notes sticking out of the top, it,ll be safe as houses (thai houses that is)

if it does go missing, simply report it to a thai policeman and all will be resolved

Edited: 04 September 2011, 06:59
Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
1,767 posts
228 reviews
5. Re: Safety at the beach?

Not safe at all on the beaches in Samui and it won't be the thai people who steal your belongings it will be western people. If you're on a boat tour leave your bags with the people who run the tour with the promose of a tip if everything's ok at the end of the tour. Never had anything stolen under those circumstacnes. Your belongings should be ok. If you're swimming off Koh Samui beaches (and the snorkelling offf most beaches is non existent) leave your valuables in the hotel.

UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Safety at the beach?

Thaks for your very sensible replies guys!

Twiggyrex and JustAllie thanks for your helpful input, we will be snorkelling at Koh Tao and Koh Nang Yuan hence the question..

Pan_Pan if you were there I wouldn't be doing any snorkelling, would rather be jumping off helicopters with you rescuing stranded boats/whales/sharks etc etc etc :p

Edited: 04 September 2011, 10:52
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
488 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Safety at the beach?

Hi Ms E,

Thought I would throw that one in. For the first time for a long time I had a chance to log on yest and saw your message. Another 1 - 2 weeks and my life will be back to normal !! I will have time to log on. Yes, you would be a full protection detail if I were there :-) Just to prove to Mac that i am more than Tiara's and Tutu's.

Agree with Twiggyrex, I had my wallet with me on the beach, although wasn't going anywhere away from the sunbed and table and was careful in watching it. After a while a Thai person came up and said "be careful with your wallet our a backpacker might take it". Probably true. In order of risk the non Thai hawkers and B/P's are probably the biggest risk.

No doubt you will be sensible about it and with that it should be fine. Sometime though stuff happens with the best precautions. I have been places where it is a lot more full on including where gangs work the beach and if you see them going through your gear you don't challenge them anyway. It certainly isn't like that. I found safety and security very good actually. Maybe just lucky!!

Pan

Edited: 04 September 2011, 17:58
UK
Level Contributor
435 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Safety at the beach?

Nice to 'hear' from you Pan, we were all missing your wise and good humoured posts.

Being born and raised in a not so safe country I'm unfortunately well used to being watchful and alert while out and about though since moving to UK my 'wariness radar' has been deactived somewhat (we live in a very small and peaceful town up in the countryside).

I'm glad I have raised this subject up as I have a more realistic notion of things now, thanks again guys, I LOVE TA!! :)

Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
164 reviews
9. Re: Safety at the beach?

You could get your stuff stolen by other holiday makers or local people etc if takes all sorts. But this could happen anywhere in the world on any beach.

Best thing is to leave you room key at your hotel and just take what you need. If you have about £10 in change or smaller for the odd drinks/snacks/lunch then I wouldn't be worried. I left my stuff on the beach all the time and no problems, other than a dog decided to sit on my towel and have a nap! haha.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
10. Re: Safety at the beach?

Thailand is no different from anywhere else, you have to use common sense and not take valuables to the beach.

Get answers to your questions about Ko Samui