We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety

Warrington, United...
8 posts
safety

hi everyone, first time poster :]

i am 21 and looking to travel to koh samui via bangkok for a few weeks in september.

my question is is it safe to travel alone ? i know there has been some political troubles

and what advice would anyone give to a lone traveller?

thank you in advance

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,832 posts
386 reviews
1. Re: safety

HI

It is safe to travel alone.

When travelling alone just be sensible, don't do anything that you would not do at home, just because you are travelling does not mean you should leave your sensible head at home. Normal rules apply.

Keep your valuables safe, don't accept drinks or anything from strangers, anything that appears too good to be true probably is, don't walk down dark allies etc etc etc etc.

But have fun and enjoy yourself! It's agreat fun travelling alone, you always meet someone!

Warrington, United...
8 posts
2. Re: safety

thank you.

also do you know if all / most of the budget accommodation in the lamai area will be booked up in september , or should i pre-book accommodation for the entire time of my stay?

thanks again

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,989 posts
76 reviews
3. Re: safety

September is mid/low season (depending on the hotel it seems) so I don't think you will have any trouble finding accomodation when you arrive. I would probably book a few days beforehand so that you have some time to look around.

As for safety, agree with above. Don't do anything you wouldn't normally do at home,keep your wits about you and if you do go drinking etc try to make sure that you travel home with someone. Most of the problems people have on holidays are because they take silly risks that they never would at home. I have never had any trouble at all on KS :-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
4. Re: safety

As for political problems, they've never affected Samui, even at the worst of times.

Warrington, United...
8 posts
5. Re: safety

thanks guys that's great :]

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
6. Re: safety

Read up on all the relevant scams, pays to be one step ahead, even though you may not experience any! Otherwise as said above, have your wits about you and have a bloody good time!

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
7. Re: safety

As tasride says read upon all the scams, this has nothing to do with you travelling alone it affects everyone but if you know about them beforehand you'll be able to deal with it better.

Bendigo, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
72 reviews
8. Re: safety

Thailand in general is very safe for travellers and women travelling alone. I have been many times on my own and with others. As with the other replies, use your own judgement and don't do anythIng you wouldn't normally do at home. I tend to use daylight hours to do lots of things and limit headIng out too much after dark. Saying that Samui is fairly safe and you are bound to meet up with other travellers along the way. In Bangkok, I stay in the Pratunam area whIch is the wholesale clothing district. DEFINATELY shop till you drop at bargain prices and close to MBK and other areas.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
211 posts
9. Re: safety

thailand is a safe place for you.... especially in Samui area... never got effect from political issues....so be relieve to travel here :)

Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
29 posts
186 reviews
10. Re: safety

And don't, whatever you do, be tempted to bring illegal drugs into Thailandor buy any from anyone anywhere. It is totally illegal and there are many undercover agents around so please stay safe. Have a wonderful time it's a beautiful country and if you treat people politely they will reciprocate.