We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Can someone please advise if there are any restrictions on trains or public transport services within the city centre at present due to the recent bombings? And if so, which areas are affected. We arrive very late Friday night and have appointments we need to keep on Saturday morning and want to know if we need to allow additional time due to road blockages, diversions etc. Also is there an obvious increase in security/policing on the streets in the city centre. Thank you in advance.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
13,455 posts
169 reviews
1. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

As far as I'm aware, apart from some extra police around, everything was back to normal by Wednesday last week

People who actually live there will hopefully provide further clarification on this (before the thread gets deleted).

Edited: 24 August 2015, 06:19
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,938 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

" ... back to normal ... "

The "wake up call" apparently hasn't awakened most security people.

Yesterday, passing through the MRT tunnel between Fortunetown and Central Rama 9, I noticed that people with bags and backpacks were still only given a cursory glance. This was by both MRT and Central security guards. Fortunetown didn't even have any checkpoint.

Don't know about the BTS. But, in the past, I have never seen them even check a single bag or backpack.

Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Thanks for the info OctoberSix and jaynewcastle11 - good to know what we are arriving into.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,516 posts
55 reviews
4. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Would they even know what to look for is the question.

Will be touching down soon for a weekend and not the least bit worried. More worried about meeting "family" and making sure everyone gets their gifts from the wife.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,374 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

I just passed through MRT "security" and a bag check at Terminal 21 (new!), carrying a medium photo-backpack stuffed with gear. As usual I just unzipped the top compartment which exposes about a quarter of the contents. They glanced and passed me on. I could have been carrying a tactical nuclear weapon or something and they wouldn't have known what it is they were seeing anyway. The bag checks are a waste of time. Just a job creation measure.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,938 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Like everything else, it's for show.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

come on guys! when you pass a street that is a danger of accident!

so is that the reason for not going out!? sorry but I just said my opinion,

I hope they use finder dogs(sorry I dont know the name:-D) and install some sensor's for finding dangerous materials, any way I think there is nothing to be worry about.

have fun, cheers ;-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,938 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Not discouraging anyone from visiting; just pointing out that one's security is their own responsibility.

Thailand
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
407 reviews
9. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Everything normal. More security personnel around transport stations but mostly seen lounging around and relaxing.

Level Contributor
51 posts
39 reviews
10. Re: Safety / Accessibility in Bangkok

Thank you again everybody for contributing, we look forward to revisiting Bangkok