We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

Michigan
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

During a recent visit to Bangkok I experienced a severe kidney stone attack. Although I have had previous experiences with stones, this was by far the worst. Fortunately, I was transported to BNH for treatment. The treatment was superior to any I have received in the U.S.. The staff was incredibly attentive, compassionate and professional. I would not hesitate to seek treatment at BNH for any condition up to and including life threatening ailments. BNH will be my first choice for care during future visits to Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
1. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

It wouldn't be mine. A close friend had a neck problem and the doctors there insisted that surgery (and expensive, dangerous surgery) was the only option. He took a second opinion elsewhere and cured the problem with accupuncture.

Its also now the second most expensive hospital in Bangkok (after Bangkok Hospital).

London
Level Contributor
984 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

bbtony

perhaps you may consider that the case you have illustrated and that of the OP may be a little unusual. However, as you reside there and are quite knowledgeable, would you mind posting your views as to where visitors should go if they wanted to have either a general check up or urgent assistance?

It seems to me that Public Health, including dentistry, is a growing business area in Thailand and the medical standard is high. As with all things there will be negative experiences but I hear of many good ones too.

Are there some hospitals you recommend over others? I believe good comments have been posted with regard to the not for profit hospital in Sukhumvit. I am sure there must be others.

Over to you for your views

Giorgio Federico

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
26 reviews
3. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

There are only 2 guys I consult at BNH and whose judgement I trust. Have known them long before surgery replaced acupuncture at BNH. I would never go near their "Neck & Back" dept. from experience. Nor would I go to Rama IX.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,864 posts
4. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

There are many good hospitals in Bangkok, including St. Louis in Sathorn, Virayuth in Rama 6 Road, Vibhavadi in Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road, and a number of others.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,385 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

Your Thai language skills no doubt are better than mine. Communication does limit the hospital choice. Language is a problem at St. Louis. Not many of the staff speak English. Was my experience on a once only visit to cardiology. Best is not to need a doc no matter where you are.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

All hospital stories are anecdotal. There are good doctors at bad hospitals, and bad doctors at good hospitals.

Years ago, I had good experiences at BNH. Now, after a couple bad experiences, I will not return.

This said, with the possible exception of Kasemarad, any Bangkok hospital should provider better care than most Western facilities.

My language skills suck, but communication has never been a proble, for me, at St. Louis.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,509 posts
55 reviews
7. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

Not an expert as I try to avoid hospitals. But in my time in BKK I was registered at Samitivej through work but have experience at Phaya Thai (once and never again), Bumrungrad, Camillian, Ramathibodhi and Pramongkut (as a guest lecturer).

Ramathibodhi and Pramongkut are govt hospitals and will require Thai but they are well run and professional hospitals. Pramongkut is run by the military. My experience with Rama hospital occured after Phaya Thai diagnosed my respitory tract infection as simply allergies. Rama had a doctor see me, diagnosis, x-rays, blood test, urine test and meds for only B1000.

Camillian is "The Order of the Ministers of the sick, popularly known as Camillians, a Religious Institute founded by St.Camillus". It was strange the 1st time I saw nuns and priest walking around.

Samitivej, actually dont have much experience as I was signed up through work because I lived within walking distance and the time I was signed up I never required hospital visits.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
8. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

BNH might have once been a good hospital at one time, but hasn't been for many years.

People who live in Bangkok avoid it like the plague.

Many doctors work there only part-time, one or two days a week. Their main work is at other private or public hospitals, therefore the care you get depends on who happens to be the part-time doctor that day.

I had a hernia operation here in 2006. I had terrible complications from what should have been a 1 night hospital stay, complications that lasted about 6 weeks. Furthermore, in my pre-op exam and xray before surgery, there was a tumor growing on my lung, which the hospital missed completely. When I went back for a chest x-ray for back pain in 2011, the doctor compared my 2006 xray to the 2011 xray and saw that the tumor had doubled in size. After some more tests in the U.S. it was found to be Stage 4 Lung Cancer, which could have been more easily treated if BNH had caught it early.

Another person in my condo, from France went in for abdominal pain. He laid in the bed at BNH Hospital for a week while the pain gradually got worse. He finally left BNH to another hospital where they did a test and found he had kidney stones, which were treated at the other hospital with ultrasound and the pain was gone.

Earlier this year, another resident in my building, from Belgium went in for an infection. A week later he was dead.

The latter two incidents happened after the PCI accreditation so we know how much PCI accreditation means.

St Louis Hospital, just 5 minutes away is much better and preferred by expats, tourists and locals alike.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
10,440 posts
99 reviews
9. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

If you are not very ill, is it reasonable to walk from Chong Nonsi BTS station to St Louis hospital, or is taking a taxi always the bettter choice?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Bankok Nursing Home Hospital (BNH)

Surasak BTS would be a better option.