We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banking By Boat

California
Level Contributor
144 posts
Banking By Boat

interesting story from cnn

wonder if they take traveller's checks?

cnngo.com/bangkok/life/video-chao-phraya-ban…

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: Banking By Boat

Hi,

I've seen it.. and been with someone and got a chance to see it "live"...

No, they don't take T/C's unless it's for deposit.. They don't do forex via the boat.. For the most part, they only conduct 'routine' banking matters.. Cash deposits.. limited cash/coin withdrawals, bank loan payment, passbook updates,

Nothing that requires special signatures or it otherwise intricate.

The vast majority of people I saw that day were "simple" banking customers.. They all had cash and coin deposits to make to their savings or other related accounts and one person paid their land (mortgage) loan.

The one interesting thing was how the boat kept in constant contact with the home office.. They used a specially hard-installed phone that allowed for the onboard bank computer to access the network.. If they loose connection, the boat stops service.

Travel Safe,

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,406 posts
33 reviews
2. Re: Banking By Boat

Thanks for that! The young lady who did the report is an acquaintance of mine.

Bangkok, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,841 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Banking By Boat

Hi,

Bill, if you've never seen it in person, you should make it a point.. It's very interesting and unique..

I happened to be at a local home as a part of my volunteer work with the Mercy Centre doing a re-homing event (re-uniting a child with his/her now-equipped-to-handle-it family)..

I hear this ringing-- a bell or something.. and being a guy who likes to eat,, I reacted like the proverbial Pavlovian dog.. I asked "is that the lunch bell?"

No, that's how they let the entire 'village' (using the word in the broadest sense) know that the "boat bank" is coming.. If no one puts out the pink and gold flag, the boat does not stop..

Everyone comes with their little bags of money and coins from their store sales or whatever and their well-worn passbooks and sits around waiting for their turn..

Express banking this is not, but it is unique.

Travel Safe,

4. Re: Banking By Boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 23:17