We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety outside of Bangkok

Canada
4 posts
Safety outside of Bangkok

Thank you all for the invaluable information and updates on the situation in Bangkok. I hope you will all stay safe. I am convinced not to try to visit Bangkok at this time. However, I am trying to decide whether to cancel our visit to the rest of Thailand or whether it is safe to travel with my children to other parts of Thailand (e.g., Chiang Mai, Koh Samui, Koh Samet). We are due to leave for Thailand in a week. What are your thoughts on the likelihood that the violence will spread outside of Thailand during the coming weeks? So far, our government has limited the travel warning to Bangkok. Thank you.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Safety outside of Bangkok

The likely hood of violence spreading outside of Bangkok is low but not impossible. What is most likely to happen is that red shirt supports will attempt to travel to Bangkok to join the protests. The islands, beach reports etc are of no interest politically to either side. Chiangmai is peaceful but has had minor problems, none of which affected tourists. Bear in mind there is a State of Emergency in many provinces, and you should carefully check your travel insurance.

Canada
4 posts
2. Re: Safety outside of Bangkok

Thank you once again for your invaluable advice dragonc.

Thailand
Level Contributor
815 posts
3. Re: Safety outside of Bangkok

The rest of the Kingdom is completely unaffected by the unrest in Bangkok but as Dragon mentioned anything could happen.

At the moment anyway, all is very safe away from downtown capital.

Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Safety outside of Bangkok

Not quite true. Ubon, Chiangmai and Patum Thani are seeing some activity. Ubon in particular.

5. Re: Safety outside of Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 November 2010, 18:18