We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soi 5 for street food?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
760 posts
42 reviews
Soi 5 for street food?

Hello 👋

What’s the current situation with Soi 5 in Bangkok I know it has the best reputation for street food. Are there still many stalls available or has the recent crackdown on street food had a major effect?

Cheers 🥂

25 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Which Soi 5?

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Sukhumvit I guess.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
91 reviews
3. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Phetchaburi is a big food one also.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
34,347 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

I’m staying on Sukhimvit this week. I went to soi 5 for groceries (at Foodland) and there were a few street food stalls. I’m staying on soi 8 (Adelphi Suites) and the street food scene there is still good, in fact better than last year. So cross the road to soi 8 and you’ll be fine.

And there are still plenty of street food stalls on the south of Sukhumvit towards Phloen Chit, below the highway bridge. Still lots of options, despite what some people (actually one person masquerading as multiple) may claim.

The “ban” on the main Sukhimvit wasn’t directed at street food but all the unlicensed crappy souvenir stalls that clogged up the sidewalks. There weren’t that many food stalls on the main Sukhumvit anyway. Annoyingly and disturbingly some of those “souvenir stalls” have returned, notably those selling non family friendly “toys”.

Edited: 22 November 2018, 05:16
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Say what .....

.... and here I was going to bring food from the house next month when visiting Krung Thep. I didn't think there'd be any food available. Whew .....

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
760 posts
42 reviews
6. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

That’s good to hear 👂

Level Contributor
887 posts
7. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

I like the food markets further out. Hardly a tourist in sight, wide footpaths and some cheap hotels. Cheap massage prices and no annoying touts. Only a few bts stops away as well.

Dubai, United Arab...
6 posts
8. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Most of the street food on Sukhumvit is banned around areas where tourists may walk.

It's definately not available on the main areas, which kind of defeats it's point.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
10,256 posts
63 reviews
9. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Dwayne, plenty of street food available if you just venture off the main road.

See the above posts - Suk 5 & 8 are prime tourist territory.

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Soi 5 for street food?

Dwayne seems to enjoy trolling about the Junta "banning" of street food and night markets.

Reply to: Soi 5 for street food?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted