We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23,320 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Went to Siam Exchange, today, to exchange some "old" US currency. Besides exchanging older worn notes, they also seem to deal in currencies most others won't touch. I took a shot of their "eclectic currencies" board: https://s31.postimg.cc/ys3fq6p3f/exchange.jpg

Thailand
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
16,941 posts
197 reviews
179 helpful votes
1. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Scottish and Northern Ireland are the same currency (the UK pound) yet they are quoted at different rates and certainly the rates quoted for these currencies is dreadful. (They are quoting 35 and 30 when even in the UK I can currently get a rate of 44.3)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,507 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
2. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Scottish notes not the same as £s, even some shops in England won't take them, no one wants them in Thailand, if you have left over baht it maybe worth trying to exchange them for Scottish notes as you will get a better rate. SuperRich Thailand takes a lot of currencies such as Myanmar Kyat at good rates. I agree some of those rates are a joke.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23,320 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
3. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Those rates aren't necessarily current. They are busy exchanging more common currencies and will update as needed. They have the typical electronic "realtime" board for more common currencies.

We checked over a dozen of the better exchanges, up to the time we entered Siam Exchange, and immediately upon leaving. Most were pretty close to the same rates. However, SE was .05 baht better than the rest.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,507 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Well SuperRich give 43.1 baht for Scottish £. Thats a lot better than 35.

toronto
Level Contributor
3,717 posts
6 reviews
10 helpful votes
5. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Haha good post. Never knew that Scotland and N Ireland had their own currency (thanks Google)

Ambrym, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
11,427 posts
6. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Hmm.....that's interesting as I got note, and coins from all over the place, and not sure even they would take the notes, but good to know.

Had for school project for kids in states, foreign currency show and tell project thingy.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,507 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
7. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Many will only take larger notes and some currencies the notes have changed so old notes may no longer be current, had that when I went back to Laos, notes no longer usable, fortunately only small amounts. Doubt they will take coins.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23,320 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
8. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Notes being changed is the "problem" with older US notes.

Vasu and SuperRich won't touch them. At SE, there was no hesitation.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23,507 posts
142 reviews
71 helpful votes
9. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

Yes good tip about older notes. I will try to remember that.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
23,320 posts
28 reviews
39 helpful votes
10. Re: Why I like "Siam Exchange" ...

"Well SuperRich give 43.1 baht for Scottish £. Thats a lot better than 35."

Well, as a test, pick up some Scottish £ and bring it over on your next visit. See if SuperRich will actually accept it. The only branch that might consider it would be Ratchadamri. And, I will bet they reject it on some technicality.

Another reason they could offer such a bad rate is demand versus supply.

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.