We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaping in Thailand clarification

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

Hi there,

I'm coming to Thailand tomorrow and I am a little bit unclear on whether or not I should bring my electronic cigarette and liquid.

I think from what I have researched that it is banned, but I can see many discussions of people bringing them in for personal use.

Is there a large risk if I were to get searched coming in with the electronic cigarette? Does anybody know how strict these laws are?

Thanks in advance!

Karlstad, Sweden
1 post
41. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

im confused.

Does any one realy know the law off bringing electric cigaretts in to Thailand.

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
59 reviews
115 helpful votes
42. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

I think it is pretty clear from previous posts on this thread that these annoying and inconsiderate things are illegal in Thailand.

So please respect the law in Thailand.

Level Contributor
1 post
1 review
43. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

Mine was seen at Phuket airport and they stopped my suitcase because they found I accidentally left my spare battery in there. I apologised and they asked me to take in my hand luggage. A friend however got fined 500 baht for bringing one in. I would take mine next time but be discreet in public areas because different people respond differently, I feel though they respect it's normal for tourists and would typically ignore.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
1 post
44. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

I came to Thailand in November with my mod, 5 30ML bottles of juice containing nicotine, 10 spare coils, 4 batteries, an external battery charger and a spare tank all in my carry on, flying into BKK from JFK with a stop in Taipei. I was stopped not once but twice at the airport and thoroughly bag searched (the first time because I have a torn visa page and the supervisor had to come verify my US passport and clear me through immigration, and in the meantime they decided to look through my bag) and despite a total of 5 Thai officials looking over/handling/politely asking me questions as to what I was carrying, they let me through with no trouble. YRMV but again, this wasn't one lazy official looking the other way. It was 5 officials including a supervisor at two different locations at the main international airport, and I was completely honest about what I was carrying.

I vaped openly in the street the month I was in Bangkok and was stopped by cops twice...both times they were just curious, one wanted to try it and I let him, he was pleased with the mint chocolate taste. That said Thai police are about as straight as a circle so I wouldn't recommend openly vaping with a big mod if you don't speak some Thai. In addition the idea you can't buy juice in Thailand is absolutely false, I won't provide links here but google it. There's a company that will deliver to your door same day COD within Bangkok and within 48 hours to Chiang Mai, where I've lived the last several months. The juice itself is MADE IN and DELIVERED FROM Thailand and contains nicotine and there are multiple websites that offer them, or you can order from foreign sites, which WILL deliver to Thailand.

Again this is ALL YRMV territory, and I'm not some dumb tourist encouraging anyone to flout Thai law. But in my experience (and the experience of the dozen or so other teachers here in Chiang Mai I know who also vape) a lot of this is scaremongering material.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
15 helpful votes
45. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

was just looking at holiday to thailand with thomsonworldwide and when close to booking section it clearly said latest update on e-cigs , vapes etc total ban on taken into country and if caught heavy fine or prison...have never had prob last 2 visits but they were banned to locals last yr when i went ...

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
90 reviews
161 helpful votes
46. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

The ban applies to everyone, Thai or visitor. Whether it is applied to everyone or everywhere is another matter.

Edited: 3 years ago
1 post
47. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

Ok guys

I've lived in Phuket for 6 years and vaped their for 2 years.

Here's the deal.

It is illegal to carry, sell or import liquid, ecigs etc.

BUT

As you all know the law in Thailand is down to the police officer.

I have been caught 4 times in 2 years with my my Ecig twice was at a bike check for and I had it under my seat the officer said do u know this is illegal here and I replied both times No sir I wasn't aware of this I'm so sorry at the airport they said it wasnt a problem I'm only here for holiday. They just said ok don't worry we understand. The other 2 times I was walking in the nightlife area and they just said did u buy that here. And I said no I brought it from home I'm on holiday. Again they just said no problem ok.

I always speak very polite and always smile. Never be cheeky.

Obviously I wasn't on holiday but if they knew I lived their I obviously know the rules and may have had to part with a couple of quid and a smile.

Phuket is a holiday destination and they are Def not gonna start hammering every E Smoker that goes around unless u have done something to piss them off.

Do not sell or get caught selling might cost you a bit

Flying into Phuket has more security with the new airport.bag scanners as you leave which they actually use lol not like the old building. So they may stop you if u have a heap of e liquid.

Your choice.

But I always bring through been asked to open bag once and they said has this got nicotine I said nope it's just the VAPE with 0mg nicotine and they said no problem under 3mg is ok.

Tourism is taking a big hit over their with terrible visa setup etc their not gonna start hitting everyone with huge fines that roles in with an e cig well unless your taking the piss.

Be smart be polite and don't worry.

Happy vaping.

Bremerton...
1 post
48. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

I just returned from Thailand. I went to several cities including Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket/Patong, Phi Phi, and Ko Samui. I left my vape at home due to fear of getting in trouble. I wish I hadn't. People were openly vaping in every city I went to. I was pissed. This forum scares the crap out of you by telling you that Thai police can levy heavy fines and prison time. I did not see any of that happening. I saw tourists vaping openly in the streets and in restaurants/bars. Bring your vape, you'll be fine.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
90 reviews
161 helpful votes
49. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

This forum tells you what CAN happen. It cannot forecast what WILL happen. It relies on members reporting on what actually did happen in their experience to balance the risk against reality. Just because you did not observe any enforcement of what CAN happen doesn't mean it didn't to anyone or will not in the future. Armed with factual information it is then up to individuals to decide whether they will be fine or not.

Loughborough...
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
14,795 posts
59 reviews
115 helpful votes
50. Re: Vaping in Thailand clarification
Save

No problem breaking the law in Thailand eh squirrelsurf69.....unless of course you happen to be the one that bumps into a policeman having a bad day.

US$USD
New Zealand
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.