We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bank account

Level Contributor
111 posts
Bank account

Is it possible to open a savings account in Thailand with only a tourist visa and a passport for identification? Has anyone done this?

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
451 reviews
1. Re: Bank account

Yes it is very easy, probably the cheapest one is Kasikorn Bank, nowadays you must buy a one off small insurance policy that lasts for one year for 2,500baht at Bangkok Bank its also easy to open an account but the insurance policy is tons more.

Cathy

Edited: 14 March 2015, 23:03
Level Contributor
111 posts
2. Re: Bank account

I thank you very much for your timely response.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
39 reviews
3. Re: Bank account

Yes it is. I opened one with Kasikorn about 4 years ago.

Nan Province...
Level Contributor
541 posts
338 reviews
4. Re: Bank account

Insurance policy? That is a scam.

You only pay a yearly fee for the card (about 150thb or 200thb) and you need to deposit min. 500 thb or 1000 thb.

That's it!

And I think you cannot have Internet Banking (at least not at Siam Commercial Bank where I live).

But TIT and the rules can change from bank to bank.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Bank account

I don't have to pay any insurance on my Kasikorn account just an annual fee but although classed as a Savings Account it is only minimal amount of interest with a debit card. Cathy may be referring to a higher rate account with different conditions.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
3,821 posts
39 reviews
6. Re: Bank account

I don't have to pay insurance or an annual fee on my Kasikorn account. However if I withdraw money outside the Bangkok area I have to pay a 30 or 40 Baht fee. I don't have any cards with the account only a passbook.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,526 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Bank account

Hi,

I'm with Bangkok Bank and pay a small fee every year. As part of the deal I have an ATM card and any withdrawals made outside of Bangkok come at a cost of 10 baht (I think).

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,755 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Bank account

Thank you for the information.

I was looking on the FAQ on a few days ago and it was unable to link me to the information.

Cheers

John

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,995 posts
451 reviews
9. Re: Bank account

I opened another account with Kasikorn the end of October last year, the insurance policy is a one of payment not each year and both banks do it, do not pay a yearly fee for the card and can do internet banking.

My first account with Kasikorn many years ago there was no insurance so maybe it is a new thing as the paperwork etc is with a Thai insurance company. Just another way for the banks to rip us off lol.

Cathy

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
7,996 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Bank account

Kasikorn used the same buy insurance pitch when my wife tried to rent a safe deposit box. We ended up with a safe deposit box ... at another bank and no insurance.