We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety issues in Thailand

3 posts
Safety issues in Thailand

At the main entrance to the Grand Palace a man dressed in blue and grey pants and shirt wearing a cap that stated POLICE, standing one foot away from two men in beige uniform with military decorations refrained us from entering telling us at 2:30PM the Palace was closed for the day, but that he would call a tukutuku (local motorcycle taxi) and for 30bahts he would take us to the standing Buddha and back to the Pier to take our boat. He stopped a tukutuku and steered us in. We did not feel we had a choice. The taximan was obviously scared of him. He took us ever farther away, stopping at shops while he took instructions and gave explanations on his cell phone. He explained to us that if we did not buy diamonds or tailored suits we at least had to fake wanting. After paying and leaving the tukutuku at a traffic light and finding our way to the river walking, we learned the police runs these shoppers kidnapping rings. We left that evening without seeing the Palace.

Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
1. Re: Safety issues in Thailand

What a pity you didn't do some research before your trip, this is a very common scam and easily avoided.

3 posts
2. Re: Safety issues in Thailand

Dear Gippy: real pity indeed!. To turn grief into something useful, I suggest it would be great value added for TRIP ADVISOR, to add a couple of icons to its site header, one for SAFETY where we could all pour our stories learn about the scams and how to avoid them, and another one for HEALTH issues. In parts of Thailand for example, I learned in my preparation for the trip, you can get Malaria from mosquito bites.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,790 posts
58 reviews
3. Re: Safety issues in Thailand

^Just ignore and carry into palace. :)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Safety issues in Thailand

Pat G

Since your original post was about Scams in Bangkok, if you go to the Bangkok Forum you will see that one of the Top Question FAQs is "Potential Scams" which includes a link to this warning about the Grand Palace Scam tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5… and if you look to the right on this forum you will find a Top Question FAQ called "Personal SAFETY" which has lots information including about Health issues so I think both your points are already covered. :-)

5. Re: Safety issues in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 17:17