We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Volcano

Indio, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Day Trip to Volcano

I will be traveling to Reunion in late March and staying 3 days. Would like to see volcano - are there any economical ways of seeing volcano summit - I see some tours advertised for groups at several hundred dollars. It will just be me.

7 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
81,779 posts
377 reviews
407 helpful votes
1. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

Hi there,

You can get buses up to Bourg Murat, to stay for the night. From there you can check how much a cab up and down would be, or maybe join a tour of people leaving from an accommodation there? Search forum for links to the bus timetables.

-Erik> & [Sandya]

Indio, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

As I am just staying 3 days, I'm trying to find the best way to get around Reunion - options are 1) renting vehicle, 2) taxi, or 3) public bus. Staying in central St. Denis - will need transport to get to lava tunnels and/or possibly take full day island tour. Activities are on different days.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
81,779 posts
377 reviews
407 helpful votes
3. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

Well renting a car is probably cheaper than taxis. Read some earlier posts here to judge the ease of driving. Worse than mainland France, but better than most of mainland Africa I’d say. Erik

Indio, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

Will most likely rent car. It will probably be easier to drive there than Maurtius and Sri Lanka (my destinations after Reunion

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
81,779 posts
377 reviews
407 helpful votes
5. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

I would say similar to Mauritius though that has more flat and less mountaineous roads. And way way better than Sri Lanka, that is on par with (or worse than) most of mainland Africa ;-)

-Erik> & [Sandya]

Indio, California
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

Finally I am here in Reunion - it is beautiful but

1) Everything is absolutely closed down on Sunday - I probably will wait till Monday morning to eat in St . Denis.

2) Unable to rent car as no international drivers license. I am hoping I am able to take buses around to sightsee. Taxi was extremely expensive 30 euros to go 4 km from airport so that is definitely not an option.

Sainte Marie...
Level Contributor
429 posts
93 reviews
87 helpful votes
7. Re: Day Trip to Volcano

Sorry to hear this.

Your car hire company should have told you you have the possibility of getting your driver's license translated into French.

Reply to: Day Trip to Volcano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Reunion Island
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.