We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

Warsaw, Poland
4 posts
1 review
Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

Is Bangui to Bayanga travel by road safe these days?

7 replies to this topic
Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

It's more dangerous than it used to be, as some of the route has recently been taken over by the Anti-balaka militia group. There are now scheduled flights between Bangui and Bayanga for 800 euros return, which would be the safer option.

Bangui, Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
2. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

Yes it's save now but you can go by plane

Bangui, Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

Yes it save and secure enven you can travel by plane

Rangiora, New...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

Yeah, ignore my first post. It seems the situation is improving since I last checked. The rebels have been on the retreat since last year.

Bangui, Central...
Level Contributor
6 posts
5. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

That's it

6. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

This post has been removed at the author's request.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts Edited: 1 year ago

Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety

I did it in 2020 pre-covid from Bayanga dry season on the back of a motorbike driven by a local arranged by Sangha lodge with many thanks (they couldn't talk me down). We took the the more direct road through Bodi (Boda) and did not travel via Berberati (paved road).

It took two days with an overnight stay in Bodi (there is an Auberge). If you had a car it would take a day or two longer I suppose (maybe more?). The trouble with the plane is it only comes every week or so, so if you haven't booked your trip in advance as part of a tour you will face the decision about how to get out (I came overland via Cameroon).

As my driver was not exactly a guide, I negotiated the checkpoint fees (there are many) as well as the various stamps of approval in your passport from policemen and mayors at major villages. Small change needed.

Some of the authorities will be in big groups with Kalashnikovs etc. Never had any issues but that's who you might be talking to. Saw one militia truck drive past me the entire time, didn't say anything to us.

The road is as you might expect pretty terrible. At times it is just soft sand and I had to get out and push the bike several times. I think the motorbike is a bit unsafe personally and would not advise it for the reason of the sand. My driver did well not to stack.

Taking photos has some risk to it and there is limited electricity to charge appliances so you must conserve your phone power.

Having said all that, it's a very rugged, authentic and beautiful part of Africa that is way out there and worth seeing for those who can accept the above.

Reply to: Bangui - Bayanga overland trip safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central African...
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.