We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dzanga-Sangha in C.A.R. or Loango National Park in Gabon

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
13 posts
63 reviews
27 helpful votes
Dzanga-Sangha in C.A.R. or Loango National Park in Gabon

Hey there, I know that both Loango National Park in Gabon and Dzanga-Sangha National Park in Central African Republic are amongst the best places to see wildlife in the Congo basin rainforest.

I know there are no guarantees in nature but overall is one better than the other for wildlife viewing? Thanks in advance!

2 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
21 reviews
35 helpful votes
1. Re: Dzanga-Sangha in C.A.R. or Loango National Park in Gabon

I know nothing about the park in Gabon, but the one in CAR has only two types of "famous" animals: gorillas and elephants.

Sightings of both are pretty much guaranteed, possibly depending on the season and other circumstances. The reason for this is simple: for the gorilla groups, rangers track their locations, so once you start hiking in the morning the guides will know where to go.

The elephants hang around a particular forest clearing where a viewing platform has been constructed for observation. There is no need to go on a hike or drive to look for them; they are always at this one spot.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,000 posts
644 reviews
270 helpful votes
2. Re: Dzanga-Sangha in C.A.R. or Loango National Park in Gabon

I also saw two different types of pangolins when I was there. There were also bongo antelope and agile mangabeys.

Reply to: Dzanga-Sangha in C.A.R. or Loango National Park in Gabon
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Central African...
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.