We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cameroon Tour Operator / Guide Warning ⚠️

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Cameroon Tour Operator / Guide Warning ⚠️

Cameroon 🇨🇲 Tour Operator Warning 🚩

This is a cautionary tale of our bad experience traveling with Cameroon Adventures & Tours, run & owned by Moh Jude Mainimo. We got his contact from this group and wanted to make sure we warn fellow travelers to prevent others having an experience similar to ours with this company / person, and make sure you don’t waste your time, energy & money. After all, this community is here to help everyone have a better time on adventure travels, so I hope this helps!

- Let’s ease into it: it all started with something pretty harmless but still unprofessional: he accidentally (or on purpose, who knows) double booked each accommodation, and charged us of it.

- The road guide who he assigned to us for the entire trip only spoke two or three sentences with us all of the first days and ignored us for the rest, even when questions were asked. It only appeared to change when my girlfriend mentioned she owns a travel agency and was hoping to offer tours in Cameroon. What a magical, uncoincidental shift in personality!

- Driver did not know the road or directions to pretty much any of our destinations, which didn’t add to the trust in this “team”.

- Arranged a car (Toyota Carina E II) that broke down nearly every day of the trip, some days multiple times. We got stuck a total of 7 times, and had a complete breakdown 4 times. (mind you, we paid 460$ / a day for this “service”)

- Now, that does happen on African road trips. I’m very used to it after traveling most of West Africa. But here comes the fun part: our itinerary (that he created and sold to us for lots) included dirt roads with half a meter deep ditches, strong inclines, stream crossings, and parts with nearly impassable mud. Obviously, that is four wheel drive territory, or higher clearance, at least. Jude Mainimo / Cameroon Adventures & Tours never mentioned that a 4x4 would be needed (or even recommended it) and simply assigned us this old little beat up two-wheel drive car without mentioning a thing. But we trusted him, after he said a gazillion times how he worked in tourism for “15” years and has all this experience “not just in Cameroon but all over Central Africa”.

- His planning left us stranded in the middle of a jungle road for an entire night instead of at a guest house, so we had to sleep in the car (4 people in a Carina) in a remote area between small villages. Kidnapping? Attempted rape of my girlfriend? All a possibility, but my guess is that wouldn’t matter to this guy.

- Upon complaining to him for these mistakes and poor planning, he started insulting us via text message, blaming it on us, calling us names. When you are paying $4500 for a trip you at least expect, well, besides from services that don’t leave you stranded and in danger, to see effort to make the trip work out? Nah. Let’s just blame it on the visitors and say we should stop “getting on his nerves”. A pity for the people of the country to have someone like this work in hospitality and represent the country.

- The last day the car broke down completely and never got fixed. We waited for 10 hours until the dark, and asked countless times for an alternative mode of transport to avoid missing our flight. We missed out on multiple planned highlights because of his poor planning, and quite frankly, the trip was wasted money and time. Throughout it he never checked in on us or ask how to solve the issue, and blatantly refused to offer his services or a response.

I think Cameroon has a lot of potential, and there were some parts of the trip that we enjoyed (like Mt Cameroon hike, our guide was great), but overall, if you’re looking for something in this region, I recommend to plan a trip to Gabon instead (with the amazing Ghislain Bouassa). Or just simply don’t book with Jude Mainimo (Cameroon Adventures and Tours), and save yourself the bad experience we had. That’s my 5 cents for today.

Grateful for this community and hope this will be able to save some people the hassle.

Keep adventuring and exploring like you all do so well!

2 replies to this topic
Yaounde, Cameroon
Level Contributor
149 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Cameroon Tour Operator / Guide Warning ⚠️

Sorry for this bad experience. However I hope you enjoyed discussing with other Cameroonian. I have many good testimony here. You can read on previous review made by other expat.

USA
Level Contributor
238 posts
1 review
2. Re: Cameroon Tour Operator / Guide Warning ⚠️

Thanks for this cautionary tale, Pierre. Hope you'll remember only the good stuff in a few years! This experience reflects the lack of well-developed tourism infrastructure in Cameroon, It is an amazing country with a huge swath of virgin, equatorial rainforest and has both low land gorillas and chimpanzees, along with many other African charismatic megafauna. We would like to find a reliable tour company to make this happen. Cameroon can mint money if it positions itself in the right way, like Uganda and Rwanda. Sad.

Reply to: Cameroon Tour Operator / Guide Warning ⚠️
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cameroon
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.