We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

Level Contributor
38 posts
85 reviews
Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

When I search online, many TO flat-out-refuse to take 1 person on their tours, however this time no relatives will join, so it will be indeed just one person.. did similar tour with Chameleon Safaris in Namibia and it was the best & unforgettable experience ever, for around $2300 (including single surcharge) for 5 nights throughout the country (safari & desert) in classy tent lodgings all included in a group of 7-8 people.

The ETOSHA National Park in northern Namibia was mindblowing!! The concentration of game around the water holes, looked like a birthday cake, every day on all game drives! Can one expect same from Tanzania?

Is end of September beginning of October any good (dry season was very recommended for Namibia as animals concentrate around water holes)?

Not particularly interested in waiting hours & hours to see any wildebeest river crossings however would LOVE TO see Masai Mara tribes and experience more of the local culture, dances, costumes and habits.

Landing & departing time are flexible, was thinking of 9 nights less or more.

Thanks for any recommendation!!

Arusha, Tanzania
Level Contributor
4,218 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

There is no made man in Tanzania national parks all is by nature wildlife animals are migrants one part yo other part looking for water and grass within the park so don't depend to see water holes made by human.here all water holes as know as swamps so during the dry season.And each TO with different tour packages and others TO offer join safari group where you can share the cost with other people to reduce cost. Try to email different TO and send your options hopefully there will be back

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
674 posts
60 reviews
2. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

I've done a couple solo trips one to Tanzania and one to Kenya. The Tanzania trip i did a private trip with Warrior Trails in sept 2014. I found that some operators didn't want to respond much to solo travelers. Not sure why that is. The owner is Maasai and I believe they can arrange a visit to authentic village. I did the typical overland Noethern circuit but didn't focus on migration. I saw many animals and it was great.

Last December I traveled solo to Mara North conservancy in Kenya and stayed alone at a camp called Offbeat Mara. It is a small fly in camp with only 7 tents. Guest use the camp vehicles which are open on sides and camp guides who are all silver rates and most been there 10+ years. You may share vehicle with others but I actually had my own vehicle with same guide and spotter there the four nights I stayed. In peak season migration season I'm sure guests likely share. They do not charge a single supplement which is one reason I contacted them . There are less vehicles in the Mara conservancies as they limit it to only vehicles from the camps within the conservancy. The game viewing is excellent. They offer night game drives and can do a walk there, bush breakfasts and sundowners without extra charges. Drinks are included as well.

I loved both solo experiences. Don't be discouraged as there are places out there who will work with a solo traveler.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
45 reviews
3. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

I did a private trip with Shidoloya in Tanzania and All Seasons Safaris in Kenya. I travelled along on both trips. Both trips were reasonable priced and both companies were excellent value for the money.

4. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 26 July 2017, 19:05
melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
8,067 posts
5. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

Hi Lex Let me answer some of your specific questions.

Can one expect same from Tanzania? Yes with the variety of Parks on offer in Tz you can experience excellent wildlife, especially in Sept. when it is drier. The wildlife congregate around the rivers and still available water.

One of the best times for a safari.

LOVE TO see Masai Mara tribes and experience more of the local culture, dances, costumes and habits.

If you want to experience the Masai culture without the usual tourist hassles...then I would go to Tarangire and visit one of the isolated Masai Boma's there. outside the park towards lemontii and Lokisale.

Also for a different cultural experience go to see the Bushman at Lake Eyasi.

But a full day with the Masai will be worthwhile, visit a school and clinic.Walk around the village...wait till the evening when the cattle and sheep come home and are counted.....it is National Geographic stuff.

9 nights to start with

3 at Tarangire best in Sept.

then Ngorongoro 2 nights (maybe Lake Eyasi add a third)

then the Serengeti 4 nights 2 central and 2 up North ( add an extra night here North)

then fly from up North where the migration should be to Arusha or KIA,,,,for your flight home.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
205 posts
11 reviews
6. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

Hello, I am a sole traveler and just came back from 10 days Kenya/Tanzania tour. I was very lucky to join other three persons (one couple and one single person) to a semi-private tour which reduce my tour cost . The tour is a truly amazing experience because high standard of our Kenya and Tanzania tour guide. After the tour, our Tanzania tour guide told me that he is willing to provide private tour for sole traveler or couple with less cost compared to other tour operators. He is very knowledgeable about Tanzania culture and speak fluent English. He is also very good at spot animals at right time in Serengeti National Parking .(include Leopard and Cheetahs) My trip will not be perfect without his expertise and sincere attitude. He gave me his e- mail and phone number in case some TA reader may be interested in his service. I will be happy to share his information.

Level Contributor
38 posts
85 reviews
7. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

Thanks so much for the answer, your plan sounds really awesome...how to (safely) execute it though? Search individual lodges and book rooms there and then hope they have some transportation inbetween? I saw there is a lodge at Lake Eyasi for example...so can I hope that the lodge will organize a tour to the local village? And how to get there from Tarangire, any secure transfer in between areas so that tourists don't get robbed & raped?

I noticed that Kenia is prone to (having islamists place) bombs targeting tourists, is Tanzania safer?

8. Re: Single person, Serengeti September-October? Any MasaiMara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2018, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Serengeti National Park