We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Celebrations were fantastic

Bayonne, France
Level Contributor
11,349 posts
Memorial Day Celebrations were fantastic

Who would've thought a city could turn a somber holiday of rememberence into a wonderfully tasteful weekend of family and visitor activities ?

Memorial Day Weekend has evolved into a "must visit" experience with a remarkable series of public celebrations starting with "Eat the Street" on Friday night, rememberences at Pearl Harbor and Punchbowl, an enormous picnic in the Capital District, and culminating in the exceptionally-well produced Lantern Floating Ceremony at Ala Moana Beach Park.

As the thousands of lanterns float out to sea against the mountains, ocean and city skylines, just as dark falls, it was serenely beautiful and contemplative. There wasn't a dry eye among the 40,000-plus in attendence.

I was humbly impressed by the sight and sounds and not ashamed to ruin my reputation as a curmudgeon by tearing up.

The whole weekend was an amazing cultural event.

Plus several places hosted some special great music this weekend, including some phenomenal jazz at Gordon Biersch and a 13-piece salsa band at Blue Ocean that had a huge crowd dancing all night.

Make your plans now for next years events.

massachusett
Destination Expert
for Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
7,732 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day Celebrations were fantastic

Sounds like such a beautiful ceremony. I'm Jealous, wish I was there.

Glad to hear it was such a special event, for you and others.

Edited: 01 June 2011, 06:50
Maui
Level Contributor
72,020 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day Celebrations were fantastic

Aloha,

I watched part of it live last night (the Lantern Ceremony)........it was so serene and beautiful, as always.

Amberloo, we who know you know that you're really quite a softie.

3. Re: Memorial Day Celebrations were fantastic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2012, 18:17