We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking, then surfing in Waikiki

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

Staying in the north, in August,,,,coming down to wakiki to enjoy bigger waves,,,will thisbe difficult with traffic,parking etc?

22 replies to this topic
Kapaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
65,504 posts
3 reviews
11 helpful votes
1. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

You can park at the zoo parking lot or in Kapiolani Park. There are other paid parking lots around Waikiki too. How full they are and what kind of traffic depends on what day of the week and what time of day you go.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
797 posts
42 reviews
20 helpful votes
2. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

If you're surfing on your own, you can also consider parking at the Ala Wai Boat Harbor near the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Free parking and the surf breaks there (Rock Piles, Bowls) are pretty popular with locals. Some surf schools hit those breaks as well. Just keep in mind that it's not as sandy on the bottom there as other parts of Waikiki.

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

Two great contributions. Thank you.. yes. I do not need the hotels and the bustle of the city. I just need a place to surf. And I understand traffic. But immediate City traffic I can do without

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
68,361 posts
397 reviews
720 helpful votes
4. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

I'd park at Fort DeRussy then paddle out to Threes or Pop'lars.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Seattle
Level Contributor
67,094 posts
23 reviews
77 helpful votes
5. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

You have your own surf board? Or you need to rent one at Waikiki?

My suggestion is in #1. That "end" of Waikiki around Kapiolani Park always feels less congested to me. And surfing seems to be good down at that end too.

You have no reason really to be in the middle of Waikiki district, so as long as you're willing to pay for it, should be easy to park. And possible for cheap or free but with more effort to find??

Corona del Mar...
Level Contributor
68,361 posts
397 reviews
720 helpful votes
6. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

I guess before deciding where to park, you really need to decide which break you want to surf. If you look at the three miles from Tonng's (just the other side of Kaimana Beach) to Ala Moana Bowls, there are probably two dozen, maybe more, named breaks. I like Threes because it is a very long paddle out so it has few tourists. When I've stayed at the Kaimana Beach Hotel I've gone to Old Man's or Tonng's. Queen's is crowded, but a super fun little break.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLT1-9hDsZc

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,094 posts
23 reviews
77 helpful votes
7. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

Again great advice from scott ca mahalo.

Queens Beach is where I've *watched* (haha) surfing most often. It wasn't all tourists out there. I've seen some pretty serious looking locals at that end as well.

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

I have a surfboard. Staying up north. But I'm afraid to put it on my rental car for fear of scratching the rental.. I guess I should not assume that all beaches rent surfboards.... I'm particularly interested in comment number two where they talk about the surf schools. My son it's interested in either taking a lesson or trying his hand at the sport.

Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
354 posts
3 reviews
2 helpful votes
9. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

If only up north I had these pleasant 2-4-ft waves. That would solve all my problems but I understand not so in August do these waves appear

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,094 posts
23 reviews
77 helpful votes
10. Re: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Save

There are several different places you can rent a surf board right on Waikiki.

Reply to: Parking, then surfing in Waikiki
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.