We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Day Concert?

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
Memorial Day Concert?

We will be in D.C. Memorial Day weekend. How practical is it to attend the Memorial Day Concert on Sunday at the Capitol? I see the gates open at 5 and the concert starts at 8. Is it recommended to arrive at 5? Are there any type of restroom facilities available for use while there?

Thanks!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,039 posts
123 reviews
1. Re: Memorial Day Concert?

The only advantage to getting to the Capitol really early is to be able to put your blanket or chairs in a closer or more central location relative to the stage. (Note: There is assigned seating for dignitaries and members of the military and their families very close to the stage. Everyone else must bring their own seating and sit behind or to the side of the assigned seating.) Some people like to come early with a picnic dinner (no alcohol) and eat prior to the show. There are Jumbotrons so you can see the performers even if you arrive later and cannot get very close to the stage.

Also, if it suits your schedule better, there is a dress rehearsal the evening prior to the actual show (i.e. Saturday). Almost all of the talent that performs in the actual show will be there for the dress rehearsal. Although it is becoming more and more popular to go to the dress rehearsal, there will still be fewer people there than at the actual show.

There are port-a-potties for your restroom needs.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
9,393 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Memorial Day Concert?

And you enter through a security zone at 3rd and Jefferson Drive, SW, right near the east side of the American Indian Museum. This is good to know because it is 1/3 mile from the dome of the Capitol, and I'd hate for you to walk around in circles getting to the entrance.

There may be another entrance at 3rd and Madison, near the National Gallery of Art, but I always go in that south side entrance.

Mechanicville, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Memorial Day Concert?

Wow - very helpful - thank you so much!

4. Re: Memorial Day Concert?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2017, 17:18
Get answers to your questions about Washington DC