We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clamming suggestions for next week?

Cc
14 posts
Clamming suggestions for next week?
Save

We'll be visiting Jefferson County next week, based in Port Townsend, and would like to find a place for clamming/oysters.

I've been looking online but getting a bit confused about where to find official information on where it's currently legal (WDFW? DOH? News articles? Individual park/beach websites?).

It looks like Sequim Bay State Park is open...and Dungeness spit, if I'm looking at the correct documents. Are there are other recommendations within a 2 hour drive of PT?

Edited: 29 May 2021, 07:06
5 replies to this topic
Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
74 reviews
79 helpful votes
1. Re: Clamming suggestions for next week?
Save

Here is a link to a chart to the public beaches and the open seasons for clams and oysters. There is a link on this page for individual park websites for more information.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/2021-03/adopted_2021wdfwbeachseasonsbarchart.pdf

However, this doesn’t show what might be currently closed due to shellfish toxins. for that you do need to go to the individual beach website, or search further online.

When my mom lived in Port Townsend we would go to the local sporting goods/hardware store to buy our shellfish licenses and get good information there, but it appears they do not sell licenses there any more. Or maybe the store no longer exists.

Apparently you will need to buy your shellfish license online instead of in person.

Edited: 29 May 2021, 10:28
Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
74 reviews
79 helpful votes
2. Re: Clamming suggestions for next week?
Save

Fort Flagler is listed as open after June 1. That is closer to Port Townsend than Sequim Bay or Dungeness Spit, and a nice place to visit. But I have no idea how productive it might be.

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,365 posts
74 reviews
79 helpful votes
3. Re: Clamming suggestions for next week?
Save

OK, so I used the website to look at Jefferson County beaches and got this map:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/places-to-go/shellfish-beaches?name=&county=38&marine_area=

Red land areas and Red Cross-hatched water areas are closed due to potential toxins. So that puts Sequim Bay and Fort Flagler out. Looks like Dungeness Spit might be OK (green) but not the mainland shore.

There have been a lot of problems with pollution and toxins in recent years, in areas that are more closed in (bays and all of Hood Canal). The more open areas on the shores of the Strait of Juan de Fula, where the tide and currents clean the water better, are more likely to be open for shellfish harvest.

Even the ocean beaches have had a problem, delaying the opening of razor clam season.

Somewhere there should be a Shellfish Hotline or something like that you could call, but I haven’t found it.

4. Re: Clamming suggestions for next week?

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 May 2021, 16:42

Cc
14 posts
5. Re: Clamming suggestions for next week?
Save

Thanks very much Enzian! Looks like we will try for dungeness :)

Reply to: Clamming suggestions for next week?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.