We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park

los angeles
Level Contributor
287 posts
6 reviews
Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park

I will be in Portland early October and am planning a day trip to either the Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park to see the waterfalls. Unfortunately, my trip is short so I can't go to both and I can't decide between the two. If you had to choose between the two, which would you recommend and why? Are the waterfalls better at one area than the other during this time?

Just a side note, I am 5 months pregnant so I'm limiting myself to shorter trails. I usually hike 5+ miles, difficult trails but I want to take it easy since I'm pregnant.

Thank you all in advance!

2 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park

i would probably choose gorge waterfalls-the access is a much shorter approach. Silverfalls has a couple waterfalls close to parking lots, but alot you have to hike a bit to see them. The gorge waterfalls are closer to the road and have more short stops to visit along the way-like Bonneville Dam grounds, etc.

As far as waterfalls being 'better' both areas will likely have similar quantity/quality of water during the fall, etc.

Edited: 25 September 2018, 15:34
Level Contributor
39,095 posts
1,014 reviews
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park

Go to the Gorge area, it is beautiful! Multnomah Falls is an Oregon icon. Have fun and congrats! 😎

Reply to: Columbia River Gorge or Silver Falls State Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted