We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

1 post
Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

I have a 13 hour layover in Portland. I land at 10pm and leave at 11am. I have a tight budget so I can’t really afford a hotel. As long as I have an outgoing flight, will they let me sleep there?

5 replies to this topic
McKees Rocks, PA
Level Contributor
667 posts
1 review
1. Re: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

In today's post 9/11 world I doubt you would be allowed to sleep at any airport.

One good reason. if you are asleep you cannot guarantee that someone did not access your bags. And for you, you would need to worry about your bags being stolen.

No bags at all? You might stand a better chance but still I would doubt it would be allowed.

I for sure would not want to spend 13 hours at an airport. There are some very affordable hotels right near the airport. I am seeing as cheap as $66 a night. How tight can your budget be? Stuff happens on trips. There are easily things that can happen that can cost far more than $70 or $80. If your budget is that tight then you need to reconsider this trip unless it is absolutely necessary that you go.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,900 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

Hi,

Welcome to the TripAdvisor forums! I personally couldn't sleep at PDX, but some might be able to. There is a web site devoted to doing this. https:/…portland.htm

Good luck & safe travels,

sodomojo

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9,315 posts
1 review
3. Re: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

Welcome

Depending on circumstances.

I think last year when there were cancellations on the east coast due to weather, people were sleeping. No choice.

If you can afford a place as posted, you may wannt to consider it.

Just a for your info. They added a small theater on one of the concourses. It only shows short movies.

Im not sure what airport security will say.

But what you can do is always ask one of the security personel. Chaances are you are not the first and you wont be the last. Let them know you situation. We dont shoot people for asking questions, yet.

Also, if you do try, i would do so in the secure area. Also note the 2 concourses are connected by a passage way post security. So if your flight is on a different concourse, you dont have to go through again.

Good luck

Edited: 24 September 2018, 23:34
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,238 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

As with the other posters, I don't know that they sanction sleeping overnight at PDX. But I will say I've seen plenty of people sleeping there both on the floor and across several seats in empty waiting areas. You do risk having your stuff stolen unless you use it for a pillow or in some other way keep it attached to your person. The passageway that connects concourses C&D to the rest of the airport has some big comfy recliners, and I've certainly seen people sleep there.

Beaverton, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Cannon Beach
Level Contributor
6,279 posts
84 reviews
5. Re: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?

least expensive motel near the airport with free shuttle service is the ramada https:/…

Reply to: Would I be able to sleep at Portland International (PDX)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted