We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JFK to La Guardia

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
60 reviews
19 helpful votes
JFK to La Guardia
Save

Hi,

My wife and I are flying to JFK, then we have to go to La Guardia to get a connecting flight

We arrive at JFK at 10.35pm, maybe it'll be around midnight once we're all done and collected our luggage

Our connecting flight is near 8am

I've had a look at the travel options and I think there may be a bus that travels to and from the airports, it may stop running at night, which is a shame as it looked really good value and we are cheap and cheerful types of people

I'm alittle concerned about taxi's, being ripped off and unlicensed cabs are the reason

I would appreciate any advice please

7 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,956 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

You can simply take a taxi from the official stand outside. No one will rip you off. if you take a taxi from the stand, it won't be unlicensed.

The issue is what to do for all of that time prior to your flight.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
60 reviews
19 helpful votes
2. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

thank you for the quick response

I suggested doing something to my wife as we may have 6 hours spare, maybe a meal, or couple drinks in a nearby restaurant. NY is a place we've always wanted to visit and will do in the future(next time it'll be more than a few hours)

my wife just wants to get the travelling to and from airports done and dusted as quickly as possible, she gets anxious about travelling and probably won't enjoy herself

your suggestion of a taxi may be our best option, I've seen estimated prices ranging from $30-$60 inc. tip, does this sound about right?

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,508 posts
3. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

LGA has a flight curfew (midnight to 6 am) and most facilities close so it is not a hospitable place overnight

JFK has some things open 24/7 if you do not wish to get a hotel (?) https://www.sleepinginairports.net/guides/new-york-city-jfk-airport-guide.htm

IF you want a hotel there are some LGA adjacent ones that offer shuttles

At JFK use *only* the Yellow cab dispatcher line at the terminal curb https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/taxi-car-and-van-service

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
33,956 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

https://www.jfkairport.com/to-from-airport/taxi-car-and-van-service

You need to confirm that you can access the airport that early.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
104 reviews
50 helpful votes
5. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

>>You need to confirm that you can access the airport that early.<<

Yes, and especially since you have luggage, double check with the airline to see if their check-in desk will be open and accepting luggage that far in advance of the flight.

Edited: 28 October 2021, 04:25
Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,508 posts
6. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

While airlines that have early flights scheduled (after 6 am) will open their facilities beforehand there is no reason for them to have them staffed overnight (after the midnight curfew)

So, IMO, the OP needs to assume they will have to deal with their luggage and decide whether to kill time at JFK or elsewhere

I can't think of any good reason to head to the LGA terminals in the middle of the night

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
60 reviews
19 helpful votes
7. Re: JFK to La Guardia
Save

Thank you all for your helpful advice, it's wonderful for good folk to take the time to do this

It's really appreciated and I'll follow the links which have been mentioned

We may kill some hours at JFK then take a taxi to La Guardia at 4ish am

The onward flight leaves just before 8am and we will have loads of time available for breakfast and window shopping

We did have the option of flying with another airline which landed at JFK and the onward journey flight also left from there, but it cost over £400 more ($500+)

The money saved is worth the hassle of a taxi fare ☺️

Edited: 28 October 2021, 08:49
Reply to: JFK to La Guardia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.