We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
34 posts
New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

I'm currently planning my NYC trip that's coming up. Will be in the city from Nov 4-12 (well 5-6 I'll be taking a train out to DC) so technically Nov 4 whole day, 6 evening and 7-11 as I fly out morning of 12. I know 7th happens to be NYC Marathon (did not know that when I booked my trip lol) and 11th is Veteran's Day Holiday. I'll be posting an itinerary check later.

I love visiting Gardens and Parks. Central Park is a must revisit for me (went early summer of 2012). I'm trying to fit both of the Gardens but due to time constraints and distance and timed entry that is already reserved, I think I can only swing one of them.

I think I can plan Brooklyn one after my morning of 9/11 Museum and Memorial and One World Observatory. This would be Sunday of the Marathon. Will this be doable?

Other option would be trying to fit NY Botanical in the morning before I need to go back to TS for a 2p showing. I guess I could do both with what I just said BUT there are too many places I want to see/do that maybe just one will do and do other things. This would be the 9th.

Another option would have me move around some stuff and I can do any of the Parks/Garden on the 11th Veteran's day BUT worried how crowd level would be. I know there's timed entry and stuff right now but things change later.

Which Garden would you choose to go out of the way? Or which one is better, etc.

7 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

They’re both great. I go to the Brooklyn one regularly, because it’s close to us and we’re members…whereas getting to the NYBG is a looong haul.

If you’re going to be in lower Manhattan anyway, getting to the BBG is super-quick…maybe a 15 minute train ride. Your visit won’t be impacted by the marathon, which doesn’t go anywhere near the area.

What I like about the BBG is that it’s relatively compact. Of course, you could turn that around and say that the NYBG is better because it’s more comprehensive.

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either. Unless there’s something special you want to see at one or the other, I would choose based on what fits best with the rest of your itinerary.

Edited: 15 October 2021, 12:57
New York City
Level Contributor
11,084 posts
126 reviews
83 helpful votes
2. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

Its not even Close the Bronx (NY) Botanical Garden is by far the better one, Its HUGE, you will need a whole day to see it all.

The Enid Haup Greenhouse is the best one Ive ever seen anywhere, Its also in the middle of a Forest (One of the Only forests in NYC, its what NYC looked like before development) , there is also the Bronx River and the Waterfall

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
34 posts
3. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

Thanks. I'll see if I can squeeze this in since it's a bit further out from other places I have planned. Unfortunately, since this trip just materialized this past Monday, a lot of the time entry/slots/rsvp for things I want to see/do are going fast. So I'm trying to plug Gardens/Parks in between other stuff.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
34 posts
4. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

@Linda E Thank you. Right now, BBG is the clear winner since it fits best with my itinerary after some rearranging. I'm combining Staten Ferry Ride early morning, then to Battery Park on the way to One World Obs and 9/11 Museum and Memorial, then train to BBG, then walk around PP if time permits, train/walk to DUMBO/BBP and hang around for a while, walk over Brooklyn Bridge and end up at South St area before heading back to hotel around TS.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
15,594 posts
32 reviews
39 helpful votes
5. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

You probably know this, but the best way to get to the NY Botanical Garden is to take a direct Metro North commuter train from Grand Central. It's about a 20 minute ride. Although you don't need to do so, you can buy tickets in advance online if you wish to.

https://new.mta.info/mta-etix

But you can also buy tickets at ticket windows or from vending machines at Grand Central.

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
34 posts
6. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

@Auden

Oh wow. Did not know that. I was just using Google and based it on departing near my hotel and it gave me using D and walk about 13 mins. The starting point would be at 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr near my hotel. So this will be about 50 mins total.

But I'm still rearranging stuff around and looks like I can try to make it on Veteran's Day or the day before if I rearrange more. I hope can. I really want to walk through the Forest and Conservatory.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
13 reviews
6 helpful votes
7. Re: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Save

The forest at NYBG will likely be at peak foliage during that time.

Reply to: New York Botanical Garden vs Brooklyn Botanic Garden
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.