We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

We arrive at LaGuardia in early December at around 3:30 pm. We booked a room at The Artezen Hotel in lower Manhattan. We have 3 full days and we’re planning to visit the Statue of Liberty, the 911 Museum, Rockefeller Center & enjoy the Christmas decorations & hopefully a holiday market or two.

We’re not sure yet how to get from the airport to our hotel. Our options are taxi, airport shuttle or the subway. If we take the subway it looks like we would have to take a bus first and then the subway. I’m all for saving money, however I’m concerned about finding the correct bus & subway, so I’m wondering how hard it would be for inexperienced subway riders? Would you advise us to just take a taxi? Thanks so much for your help- this forum has been so helpful with our trip planning.

11 replies to this topic
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
1. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Taking public transit is super-easy, if you’re game & are able to handle your bags. The bus is basically a designated airport bus that shuttles people between the various terminals and the subway. There are luggage storage racks on the bus for the very short (typically 10-15 min) ride.

To catch it, just follow signs for ”public buses.” The bus you want is the Q70. You buy your ticket before you board, at kiosks right at the stop. Once the bus rounds the airport, it will take you directly to the Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Av subway. No possibility for confusion.

At the subway station, you will have various choices of lines to use; unfortunately, all of them involve transfers to get to your hotel. I would look at Google maps or a similar app to see which specific route is fastest at that particular time. (Note that the F to the 4/5 requires leaving one station and walking a couple of blocks to a different one.)

Thanks for considering public transit - the city is currently experiencing extreme congestión/gridlock, so reducing unnecessary travel in private vehicles helps everyone.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,483 posts
2. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

This video might be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U77L8hTNF58 NOTE this video was filmed in the old Terminal B but the Metrocard fare card purchasing, SBS bus boarding method and Jackson Heights transfer station are still the same

As mentioned above, there will be several train route options

Use the MTA trip planner to see your options http://tripplanner.mta.info/MyTrip/ui_web/customplanner/TripPlanner.aspx (Note: some transfer / destination stations do not have elevators Check the accessible route options box if you don't know want to schlepp luggage on stairs)

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Thank you so much for your help. We’ll try the subway-we can always ask for help if we need it. 😊

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
4. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Thank you! This is very helpful.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
5. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

If you were to take the 7 train from Jackson Heights into Manhattan, you’ll be rewarded with phenomenal views of Queens and the Manhattan skyline. (The 7 may be a bit slower than its alternatives - it typically runs local while some of the other options are express - but if the difference is just a few minutes, the views are totally worth it.)

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Thanks- that’s great advice!

Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
7. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Thanks for all of your help. I have one more question-I’m seeing a few different options for buses, so I’m wondering if the terminal we arrive at determines which bus we will take. Does the Q70 bus service terminal A?

We’re flying Spirit so terminal A is a possibility for our arrival. Thanks again.

Astoria, New York
Level Contributor
31,483 posts
8. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

#7 - The Q70 bus does not serve Terminal A (AKA the Marine Air Terminal) https://www.laguardiaairport.com/to-from-airport/public-transportation

So you would have a choice of taking the (free) on-airport bus to the other terminals to get the Q70 https://www.laguardiaairport.com/at-airport/on-airport-bus

OR take the M60 bus and transfer to the N/W at Astoria Blvd or one of the subway lines along 125th Street in Manhattan

Subway map https://new.mta.info/map/5256 (the buses appear as dotted lines on the map)

If you travel via Terminal A be sure to take some time to look around a bit. It's historic & interesting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Air_Terminal

Edited: 05 October 2021, 05:00
Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Brooklyn
Level Contributor
7,505 posts
22 reviews
45 helpful votes
9. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Yikes! (That’s for Terminal A, not flying Spirit - though I’ve flown Spirit enough to be tempted to say yikes to that, too, lol.)

Yes, Terminal A - the former Marine Air Terminal - is beautiful & historic but it’s kind of off by itself and is less well-served by transit. The Q47 bus stops there and will take you to the Jackson Heights subway, but it’s a regular local bus making local stops & so will take longer than the Q70. It’s not a bad trip - my daughter has done it - and the station is impossible to miss (it’s big & sections are elevated)…but if you do wind up in Terminal A, taking a cab becomes a lot more tempting.

Or you could split the difference and just take a cab to the subway.

(Edited to add - cross-posted with Kaye.)

Edited: 05 October 2021, 05:04
Menasha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
20 posts
10. Re: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Save

Thank you!

Reply to: Transportation from LaGuardia to our hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.