We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best route

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
Best route

Im driving from Amarillo to Durango area in late June. I would like to get within 2-3 hours of Durango on day 1, traveling with an elder and a puppy, so trying to make short scenic trips, my question is, where is a nice place to stop overnight that has a Motel 6 and interesting sights? Thanks

3 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
135 reviews
1. Re: Best route

Your best bet would be Albuquerque. Several Motel 6 properties here. You would enjoy Old Town, it is over 300 years old, lots of shops and good restaurants.

There are no Motel 6 hotels until Albuquerque, and none between Albuquerque and Durango. Santa Fe has a few, but that might be out of your way.

I-40 to I-25 to US 550 to Durango is thie quickest route.

You could stay over in Santa Fe, then take US285-84 to Pagosa Springs, and US 160 from there to Durango. A little longer route, but really pretty scenery.

Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
216 reviews
2. Re: Best route

This is tough because of the competing things you're looking for. As noted above, Albuquerque is much the best intermediate stop for a Motel 6. However, from there you have a choice between a dull drive that's (barely) within your 2-3 hour range ((US 550) or a much more interesting one that isn't (I-25 to US 84 to US 160). The latter route has all kinds of entertaining breaks in the driving, which 550 does not, but there's no getting around the fact that your second day would be longer, even if you overnight in Santa Fe instead (recommended if you choose that route). What's your priority here, short distance from Durango or interesting side trips and things to do en route? Decide that before deciding which route to use.

Beaumont, Texas
Level Contributor
65 posts
3. Re: Best route

Thank you both, I found a place to overnight in Taos, so I think I'll go via Pagosa, thanks again

Reply to: Best route
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about New Mexico