We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Hello, I would like to visit Amherst from Toronto, Canada some time next year. I am guessing I'll have to first fly into Boston, but once I am there, how can I get to Amherst? Is it possible to take a train? I can't drive, so renting a car isn't an option for me. I only have one reason for wanting to do this trip, i.e. to visit the Emily Dickinson museum, but I'm open to adding a few other things on the itinerary, if you have other suggestions.. Thanks for your help

14 replies to this topic
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
1. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

There are 8 Peter Pan buses per day from Boston to Amherst. Traveling by bus from Boston to Amherst usually takes around 4 hours.

Edited: 27 October 2021, 23:33
Sandown, New...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,138 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
2. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Don’t fly into Boston. Fly into Hartford, CT

Multiple daily bus to Amherst and it’s only 90 minutes.

https://www.wanderu.com/en-us/bus/us-ct/hartford/us-ma/amherst/

Hartford airport would be BDL

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Unlikely to be better than what #2 mentioned and maybe not even possible but you could look into flying to Springfield or Worcester. I'm pretty sure you'd find flight there more expensive and less convenient than Hartford (another connection) and I don't know about bus options to Amherst.......but it's worth a few seconds on google to find out for sure.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
19,270 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Springfield and Hartford share the same airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

All this time I thought they were separate airports. Thanks for setting me straight.

Boston...
Level Contributor
51,068 posts
1,362 reviews
358 helpful votes
6. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Bradley is in CT, about halfway to Springfield from Hartford. There is also Brainard airport, a very small option just southeast of downtown Hartford that you can see from Route 91. I used to think that was the "Hartford Airport"

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
195 posts
4 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

thanks everyone for your suggestions! I think I will try to fly into BDL and bus to Amherst, then take the Peter Pan bus to Boston and fly out of there as I'm sure there are other things to see in Boston as well

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
8. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

There's definitely plenty to do in Boston.

Given that you are into Emily Dickinson I'll guess Concord MA would be of interest to you.

Here's a link with some info: https://bookriot.com/a-literary-tour-of-concord-massachusetts/

Edited: 29 October 2021, 01:13
Sandown, New...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,138 posts
21 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

Well, yes.... There is PLENTY to see in Boston!

Your original post stated "...I only have one reason for wanting to do this trip, i.e. to visit the Emily Dickinson museum..." Now you have other reasons... like visiting Boston.

It may make more sense to perhaps fly into Boston then and take the original recommendation of the Peter Pan bus and make the museum a day trip instead of an overnight trip to Amherst.

Perhaps you can indicate more about your proposed trip??

Boston...
Level Contributor
9,961 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Save

re: post 8. I meant to also mention it's pretty easy to get to Concord from Boston on the Commuter Rail train. You'd need to check the schedule in advance to make sure though. I believe trains are sparse on weekends but plenty on weekdays.

Reply to: Best way to reach Amherst from Boston? (no car)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.