We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21

Maui
Level Contributor
107,043 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Since the State has already changed a pertinent section of the new rules (as of about 30 minutes ago), I am deleting my original threads and re-posting the updated info. Here's hoping they're done tinkering with it, LOL! The change ONLY affects US Citizens flying nonstop back to Hawaii from abroad. Nothing else changed.

Straight from the source, the state website: https://governor.hawaii.gov/newsroom/office-of-the-governor-news-release-state-of-hawai%ca%bbi-aligns-with-federal-international-travel-requirements/

"Direct International Travel to Hawaiʻi

Starting Nov. 8

NON-U.S. citizens traveling directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination must present BOTH a vaccination records AND a negative COVID-19 test result (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the United States.

U.S. citizens flying directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination have two options:

Fully vaccinated travelers must provide proof of vaccination and present a test taken within three (3) days of boarding flight to U.S.; OR

Travelers not fully vaccinated must provide proof of negative COVID-19 test result within one (1) day of boarding flight to U.S.

There will be no additional State of Hawaiʻi requirements for passengers flying directly into Hawaiʻi from an international destination. The airlines will screen passengers prior to their departure to the U.S. If foreign passengers fail to meet BOTH requirements and if U.S. citizens fail to meet ONE of the two requirements, they will not be allowed to board the flight. Once in Hawaiʻi, the CDC will conduct compliance checks.

Note: Tests do NOT have to be done with Trusted Travel Partners under the new international federal requirements, but they MUST be done with a Trusted Travel Partner for unvaccinated domestic travel.

Non-Direct International Travel to Hawaiʻi

Starting Nov. 8 international passengers entering the U.S. from another state or territory will be treated as domestic travelers when entering the State of Hawaiʻi. The Safe Travels Hawaiʻi program remains in place for domestic travelers.

Current Safe Travels Hawaiʻi requirements for domestic travelers include:

Creating a Safe Travels Hawaiʻi account on a digital device

Entering trip details

Filling out a health form, and

Attesting that all information is correct.

Currently, travelers may bypass the state’s mandatory 10-day quarantine in one of two ways:

1) Upload a vaccination document; or

2) Upload a negative NAAT test result.

The test must be taken by a Trusted Travel Partner (TTP) within 72 hours of departure for the State of Hawaiʻi.

Also, beginning on Nov. 8, the State of Hawaiʻi, in alignment with the federal government, will accept vaccines approved or authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, and vaccines listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization. A list of currently accepted vaccines is posted on the CDC’s website."

Happy planning,

SW and Lolo!

6 replies to this topic
Maui
Level Contributor
107,043 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
1. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Bumping up for people asking about the new rules.

Thanks again to fish for suggesting I post new threads with the updated info from earlier this morning!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
69 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

I'm still unclear as to whether I am required to present an antigen test or a molecular test as a Canadian citizen travelling from Toronto to Vancouver then onwards to HNL. Also, does my unvaccinated 8 year old have different entry requirements than her vaccinated parents?

Maui
Level Contributor
107,043 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Here's the paragraph you need for you and your wife:

"Starting Nov. 8

NON-U.S. citizens traveling directly to Hawaiʻi from an international destination must present BOTH a vaccination records AND a negative COVID-19 test result (NAAT or antigen) within three days of boarding a flight to the United States." (from above).

You aren't landing on US soil until you land in Hawaii, so an antigen test is fine.

As for your child, last I knew unvaxxed had to have a PCR NAAT test-NOT an antigen. Check the safe travels site:

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/faqs/

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
82 reviews
119 helpful votes
4. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Thanks for posting SW our trip next year may happen after all - 2 years late - can't wait

Maui
Level Contributor
107,043 posts
12 reviews
8 helpful votes
5. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Aloooooha, Crazy!! Good to see you again!

Keeping fingers and paws crossed that your trip works out at last!

SW

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
82 reviews
119 helpful votes
6. Re: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Save

Lol Aloha SW! I've been lurking on this forum since last year. Everything is crossed!

Reply to: Repost: NEW Travel Rules International Travel: 11-08-21
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.